Data science gives you the foundations to become a top-level expert in the modern knowledge society. You will obtain the required skills to solve real-world problems using methods of algorithm design, machine learning, artificial intelligence, statistical inference, operations research, and optimization.
Data science is one of the majors in the Aalto Bachelor’s Programme in Science and Technology available in English. It is a multidisciplinary field focusing on the study of scientific methods used to extract knowledge from data and build models that cope with complex problems. It employs techniques and theories drawn from the broad areas of mathematics, statistics, information sciences, and computer science.
After completing your studies, you will be able to manage large volumes of data, make sound inferences from data, and build data-driven models that make accurate predictions or take intelligent decisions.
Throughout the studies, emphasis is put on the foundation of mathematics, statistics, and computation, and building a strong background in data science, which will not only educate you with the existing techniques, but will also allow you to follow the developments in this rapidly-evolving area.
The Data Science programme from Aalto University aims to educate professionals in a diverse range of activities. Graduates of the programme will obtain the background to start their working life as data scientists, engineers, or technology entrepreneurs, among other professions.
Additionally, the programme prepares the students for advanced studies in engineering, science, and mathematics, so that graduates of the programme will be well-equipped to pursue masters-level studies giving them the opportunity to follow professions, such as engineering scientists, business analysts, industrial researchers, technology leaders, technical managers of cross-disciplinary teams, and more.
- The main subject in the bachelor's degree is Data Science. As a student of the Data Science major, you are entitled to continue your studies at the master’s level at Aalto University.
- The major gives you a solid basis for further studies in the Aalto University master’s programmes, for example the Machine Learning, Data Science and Artificial Intelligence major of the Master’s Programme in Computer, Communication and Information Sciences, or the Master’s Programme in Mathematics and Operations Research.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
All applicants must fulfill the general eligibility requirements for higher education. You are eligible to apply if you have completed or will complete during spring one of the following degrees:
- Finnish matriculation examination
- International Baccalaureate degree (IB)
- European Baccalaureate degree (EB)
- Deutsches Internationales Abitur degree (DIA) or Reifeprüfung degree (RP) in Finland
- A degree or qualification completed outside Finland that in the awarding country gives eligibility for university studies
- A Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification, further vocational qualification or specialist vocational qualification as set in the Vocational Education Act
- Advanced International Certificate of Education -degree (AICE)
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
€15 000 per academic year for master’s degree programmes
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.