The students in the BA English from University of Basel develop an understanding of English and its phenomena from a social, cultural, historical and cognitive perspective. An essential part of the course is also the acquisition of excellent language skills, especially for academic use (written and oral).
The English seminar at the University of Basel researches and teaches in the two academic sub-areas of literature and linguistics.
English-language literary studies pursues a cultural studies and interdisciplinary approach and considers Anglophone literature in the context of mentality and cultural-historical development processes as well as in connection with other media.
The linguistics of English examines the meaning and functioning of the English language in everyday life, culture and science, in private and public spaces, in the present and in the past.
Postgraduate master’s programsAfter completing a bachelor's degree in English, the interdisciplinary master's degree in "Language and Communication" or the multilingual master's degree in "Literary Studies" can be considered in addition to the master's degree in English (in combination with a second subject). These two are studied without a second subject.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- English and Irish literature and culture since the Renaissance, especially in the areas of drama of the Shakespeare period, literature and memory, as well as literature and space / cultural topographies
- American literature from the 18th to the 20th century
- Postcolonial literature and theory
- Literary, cultural and media theory as well as aesthetics
- Cognitive linguistics and psycholinguistics, especially language acquisition;
- Sociolinguistics and discourse analysis of English.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to study at the University of Basel takes place in accordance with the admission guidelines of the Rectorate , university rules and regulations. The Rectorate of the University of Basel issues the admission guidelines for the coming academic year in December. The inter-university and international guidelines are taken into account.
International1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 769 EUR per semester during 36 months.
National1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 769 EUR per semester during 36 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Living costs for Basel
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.