Inspire young people to get active and develop essential life skills through sport. This the Physical Education and School Sport (Hons) course from Hartpury College will enable you to play a pivotal role in improving young people’s physical, social and emotional development, as well as their abilities to make confident decisions about their futures.
You’ll develop skills in a range of sports including traditional sports, aquatics and outdoor adventure, benefiting from field trips to outdoor education centres across the UK. You’ll also have the opportunity to achieve your Level 5 Certificate in Primary School Physical Education Specialism. This will allow you to secure a paid role in a school as a teaching assistant while you’re studying.
In your first year you’ll develop the foundations of your physical education practice. You’ll gain work experience in a school or sports club, as well as with young people learning on-campus. The curriculum will play a key role in your learning this year, as you develop creative teaching techniques and gain new confidence to work with young people across all key stages of it.
In your second and final years, you’ll cement your passion for primary or secondary school education in relevant work placements. You’ll also complete your dissertation, which will enable you to develop specialist knowledge in an area that interests you and that you can use to strengthen your practice. By the end of your degree, you’ll have a strong professional portfolio, which you can use to showcase your practical skills and experience to potential employers.
Supported work placements are central to each year on this degree, to ensure you graduate prepared to take your next step. You’ll undertake 80 hours of professional experience in a school or sports club in your first year, 120 hours in your second and 80 in your final year.
Many of our students choose to work for one of our partner organisations including Active Gloucestershire, TT Adventures, Just Camps, Millbrook Academy, Marling Grammar School and Badminton Independent School. Others decide to gain experience through their own relationships further afield.
- PGCE Primary or Secondary
- Initial Teacher Training (School’s Direct)
- Teaching Assistant, primary school
- NEAT training or community sports
- Camp manager/physical activity leads, Just Camps
- Postgraduate study, eg MSc Coaching Science
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Curriculum Studies
- Coaching Practice Portfolio
- Skill Acquisition
- Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Academic Skills for Sport
- Introduction to Exercise Physiology
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Missed the 15 January UCAS deadline? Don’t worry, you can still apply for many of our courses.
DisciplinesSports Management Coaching Sports Sciences View 249 other Bachelors in Sports Management in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- GCSE - A minimum of 5 GCSE A* to C, (or 9 to 4 where numeric grades are being awarded) or equivalent, to include English Language and Mathematics.
- A Level - Typical offer is ABB or equivalent. This must include a minimum of two A Levels including one in a Biological Science, Sports Studies or PE subject.
- Vocational award - Typical offer is a DDM in an Extended Diploma or equivalent in a relevant subject
- We welcome students with equivalent qualifications, including Access and the International Baccalaureate.
- We may interview mature applicants and those with non-traditional qualifications.
International13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Gloucester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.