We believe that these books are important because they shed light on who, we, as individuals in Western society, are, but, more importantly, provide us with a lens through which to think about questions that continue to be of perennial importance to living a happy life. For example, in one of our classes, Love and Friendship, we read books that offer differing perspectives on the nature of love. In the end, we don’t prescribe to any single answer, but intend, instead, to give you the tools by which you might determine for yourself the nature of the theme in question.
Students who are interested in Great Books at Saint Thomas University often take the first-year Aquinas: Great Books Program, as itoperates on similar principles. Our classes are team-taught by at least two different professors and sufficiently small (36 students maximum) to allow for discussion.
Great Books classes require a great deal of reading, writing, and critical thinking. With two professors dedicated to each class, you receive a lot of one-on-one attention to help sharpen your reading and writing skills. Our classes are discussion based, not lectures. We want you to think about the questions posed by the texts and determine for yourself what an appropriate answer might be. Your capacities to think through arguments and to speak cogently and persuasively are developed by means of the discussion-based format.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Great Ideas
- The Quest for the Good Life
- Human Nature and Technology
- War and Peace
- Love and Friendship
- Nations and Borders
- Philosophy and Art
- Freedom (POLS)
- Faith and Reason
- Shakespeare and Politics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCreative Writing General Studies & Classics Literature View 58 other Bachelors in General Studies & Classics in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Have your official transcript sent from your high school to the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In addition to a high school transcript, international applicants whose primary language is not English must also arrange to have an official copy of their English proficiency scores sent directly to the Admissions Office. The St. Thomas University ETS institution code is 0803. International applicants who indicate that they are Permanent Residents must provide a photocopy of their official Permanent Resident cards.
International16389 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16389 CAD per year during 48 months.
National7292 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7292 CAD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Fredericton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.