Programme Aims and Learning Outcomes
With decreasing time to market, increasing customer expectations and global competition, product design and development has become increasingly more complex in recent years. Today, product engineers carry out product design and development tasks that are not only limited to functional or engineering design but also need to incorporate the considerations of aesthetic issues, design for the product life cycle, technologies and business issues. There is now an urgent need to produce professionals in product development who can be innovative, knowledgeable and skilful enough to synergise product development with design, technology and business in developing successful new products.
The Product and Industrial Engineering (Honours) programme of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University will:
- Enable students to develop their knowledge in business development, strategic product planning, product marketing and management, and understand how they relate to the development of successful new products; and
- Supply graduates who are capable of product design and development, and can interact with customers, industrial designers, production personnel, suppliers and vendors, understand market situations and competition environments, identify market needs and opportunities to convert them into new products that satisfy customer needs and all product engineering requirements.
In recent years, many Hong Kong manufacturers have been switching from being low-cost original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to high value-added original design manufacturers (ODMs), and even to original brand manufacturers (OBMs) to maintain their competitiveness and maximize their profit margins. This has led to a substantial demand for professionals to design and develop new products.
Our graduates have the abilities needed to work as product engineers, project engineers and product design engineers in the development of various kinds of products such as toys, domestic electrical appliances, health care products, electronic consumer products, audio/visual products, green products, power tools and automobile components.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Materials Science and Engineering/Chemistry/BioIogy
- Engineering Economics
- Quality Engineering
- Electricity and Electonics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
124 credits (plus 10 IC training credits)
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Marketing General Engineering & Technology View 6 other Masters in Industrial & Systems Engineering in Hong Kong (SAR)
- For those who are applying on the basis of A-Level qualifications: E in 3 A-Level subjects OR E in 2 A-Level and 2 AS-Level subjects;
- For those who are applying on the basis of International Baccalaureate (IB): a minimum score of 24 with at least grade 4 in 2 Higher Level (HL) subjects;
- For those who are applying on the basis of other qualifications: an appropriate Diploma passed with credit or an appropriate Higher Certificate from a recognised institution; an appropriate Associate Degree / Higher Diploma from a recognised institution; holder of other non-local qualifications (please refer to our Guidelines on Non-local Qualifications for more details about our general requirements for such qualifications)
- Satisfy the English Language Requirement.
International18684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18684 USD per year during 48 months.
National5425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5425 USD per year during 48 months.
- National: 42,100 HKD per year
- International: 145,000 HKD per year
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.