The Linguistics programme of the University of Amsterdam focuses on our uniquely human capacity to use language, something indispensable in our daily life. As a linguist you are interested in how language and speech are structured, how we acquire it, how it can be impaired, how it is represented in the brain, how it functions in society, how we deal with 2, 3, or 4 languages at the same time, and how it changes. All these questions are addressed in this broad Bachelor's programme in Linguistics.
Is Linguistics right for you?
Linguistics from University of Amsterdam, is the ideal programme for you if:
- You have an active interest in languages but also in language in general.
- You enjoy solving puzzles and problems that require a systematic approach.
- You want to understand how languages differ or resemble one another, how they change over time, and how they are acquired.
- You wonder how language is represented in the brain and how language impairments arise.
- You’d like to learn a new language yourself.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Philosophy of the Humanities (Language and Cognition)
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students applying to one of our Bachelor’s programmes should hold a Dutch VWO diploma, a HBO propedeuse or a foreign diploma that is equivalent to one of these diplomas. If you have foreign credentials, mathematics and English should be included in your final examination or attended until the last year of your secondary education.
- The starting level of a regular study programme at Dutch universities is comparable to that of other Western European countries, but it is generally higher than in most countries outside Western Europe.
- If you are a non-native English speaker, you will need to demonstrate English language proficiency in order to be eligible for our English-taught Bachelor’s programmes.
International9130 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9130 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.