Through a voyage of discovery and experimentation you will apply yourself to challenging projects and activities, become increasingly self-motivated and confident to strive beyond the constraints of delivering a brief. We aim to foster a confidence to discover, re-map, re-imagine and challenge traditional interpretations of the subject.
You will be encouraged to experiment and challenge what illustration is, with the opportunity to take part in live projects and high-profile competitions that will challenge you to explore problem solving, sequential image-making, characterisation, reportage and editorial illustration.
Located in a dedicated and inspiring illustration studio you will network with your peers and forge lifelong connections. You will gain opportunities to specialise in a specific field or area of expertise in illustration and flexibility to discover and create self-authored projects.
This Illustration (Hons) course from University of Derby prepares you for an exciting career in illustration, with opportunities in newspaper and magazine editorial, education, publishing and book arts, children’s books, graphic novels, print production, advertising and the wider design industry. Some of our graduates also pursue careers as writers, educators and picture/research editors. With a large number of illustrators working on a freelance basis, the course also equips you with business skills and an entrepreneurial outlook.
Whatever branch of illustration you aspire to, you’ll graduate with a professional portfolio that is personal and distinctive, alongside a wealth of promotional material to launch your career. Many of our students are talent-spotted through the hands-on work they undertake during live briefs for employers, or through the competitions and exhibitions which form an integral part of your studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Thinking Through Design
- Design, Culture and Curiosity
- Creative Concepts
- Exploring Visual Communication
- Visual Narratives
- Design: Theory, Making and Meaning
- Creative Ambition
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Liberal Arts View 756 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UCAS points 104-112
- A Level BBC-BCC
- BTEC DMM
- GCSE GCSE Maths and English Grade 4/Grade C (or above) or equivalent qualification
- Access to HE Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 with a minimum of Distinction: 15, Merit: 24, Pass: 6
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14045 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14045 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- We have a range of scholarships, bursaries and discounts available to international students. You will need to apply separately for the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship and the International Excellent Student Scholarship, but all others are assessed for eligibility alongside your application. The £2,000 Postgraduate (PGT) Scholarship is awarded automatically to most (non-EU) overseas applicants, subject to eligibility.
- You will need to apply separately for the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship, the International Excellent Student Scholarship and the GREAT Scholarship, but all others are assessed for eligibility alongside your application.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.