You will build confidence with various media, informed by historical and contemporary references, cultural and social contexts and the professional requirements you will need to meet when you graduate. Students to engage in live projects, competitions and exhibitions throughout the course.
Whatever your ambitions, you will be helped to achieve them. You will be able to identify the skills you are learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you will feel confident in standing out from the crowd. The Northampton Employment Promise has been created so that if you focus on your studies and complete one of the awards you will be highly employable by the time you graduate.
You will learn through studio practice, specialist media workshops, professional study components and a programme of lectures and seminars. The Fine Art (Hons) undergraduate course from the University of Northampton will give you an informed and critical understanding of contemporary practices and debates, encouraging the development of your creative and critical intelligence and showing you how to integrate innovative thinking with practical ability. You will be able to explore and question the nature of any given medium and/or hybrid practices and you will have the opportunity to explore art as an instrument for social change and a way of improving our society and culture. You will benefit from spacious and well-equipped facilities and links to the Milton Keynes Gallery, NN Contemporary Art (Northampton), Corby Cube Gallery and Rugby Museum and Art Gallery.
All staff are practicing artists who publish and exhibit nationally and internationally. Throughout the programme, there will be regular visits from innovative arts organizations such as Artangel and internationally renowned artists including Richard Long, Ian Davenport, Mark Francis, Jenny Saville, Marcus Harvey, Dan Hays, Michael Landy, Richard Deacon, Ian McKeever and Richard Wilson.
Throughout this course, your ideas will be nurtured and developed by a close relationship with the team of specialists, visiting artists and other students. You will graduate with a unique balance of critical, practical and creative skills, thanks to the opportunities you will be given to move between media disciplines. There are also trips involved in the course, which have included France, Italy, Spain, India and the USA.
- Graduates of our Fine Art course can find careers in arts organisation, gallery management, exhibition curating photography, joumalism, teaching art therapy, theatre, film and television or other roles that value creative thinking.
- If you are interested in further study, you can also continue on to the Fine Art Postgraduate course or embark upon independent creative practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Studies
- Media Practice
- Fine Art Practice
- Themes and Issues in Contemporary Art
- Practice Exhibition (Fine Art)
- Critical Study
- Professional Practice and Employability
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Art History View 704 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Standard entry requirements apply. A typical offer would be BCC at A Level or DMM at BTEC. In addition, we expect applicants to have studied art or a relevant subject at A Level, BTEC or equivalent. We also accept Foundation Diplomas in Art and Design.
- Applicants are interviewed and are requested to provide a portfolio of their own work in Art and Design. International students may submit their portfolio electronically. If you have a relevant HND or Foundation Degree with a suitable profile of achievement you may be admitted onto year two or three of this course.
- Admission to this foundation programme is normally DEE at A Level or MPP at BTEC. However, we would also like to hear from you if you have professional or industry experience instead, a range of other qualifications or self-developed subject knowledge that relates to the programme you wish to study.
International12900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12900 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Part Time UK: £1,465 per 20 credits module
- UK Integrated Foundation Year: £6,780
- International Integrated Foundation Year: £12,900
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.