Our BA Photography (Hons) course at Leeds Arts University is looking for students with a range of interests and an open mind, who embrace broader practices around photography, which is becoming increasingly important as photographers work across genres.
You will have access to our award-winning facilities and equipment including 35mm, medium and large-format cameras, medium-format digital camera backs, digital SLRs, lenses and lighting gear. You will learn how to use our fully equipped lighting studios, infinity coves, and black-and-white darkrooms with 35mm, medium and large-format capabilities. We have colour-film processors, film scanners, digital video cameras and edit suites, and Mac suites that feature industry-standard software.
This is an outward-looking course, designed to maximise your employability or freelance success on graduation. Beside learning extensive technical skills, you’ll benefit from enterprise and business skills (including copyright and licensing), networking, mentoring, work experience opportunities and guest speakers. Collaborations with students on other courses will help you to build a diverse portfolio of experience.
Our programme of internationally renowned speakers has included Martin Parr, Erik Kessels, Ewen Spencer, Anouk Kruithof, Cristina De Middel, Guy Martin, Thijs Groot Wassink (WassinkLungdren), Simon Roberts and Kevin Cummins. In the past there have been study visits to Paris, Los Angeles, Berlin, Shanghai, Tokyo and New York, plus day-trips within the UK and to the Format International Photography Festival in Derby.
Graduates of Photography programme have gone on to work as freelance photographers, for agencies, in galleries and curating, and in post-production.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Year One — You’ll focus on developing your technical photography skills and learn about historical and contemporary perspectives on photography. You’ll develop your studio practice and photographic workflow.
- Year Two — This is a more conceptual year which also builds on your own specialist photographic practice. You’ll learn business skills for freelancing or running your own business, and guest speakers will relate their own experiences. You’ll respond to live commercial/community briefs and you’ll have the opportunity to arrange work experience.
- Year Three — You’ll continue your practice to build an extensive portfolio, and contribute to the end of year show. A module will develop your professional practices, and you’ll be encouraged to seek feedback from industry on your work.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 748 other Bachelors in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- - A portfolio of relevant practical work, demonstrating your ability and enthusiasm for the course you’re applying for.
- - You’ll need to have passed GCSE English Language or English Literature at grade C/grade 4 or above. For mature students, an Access to Higher Education qualification in art and design will also be acceptable to demonstrate English language ability.
International15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Seven £2000 scholarships are available as a tuition fee discount for your first year of study. You can apply for the scholarship after receiving an offer to study here. Successful recipients will be informed during the first week of June.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.