About The Creative Writing (Hons) Programme at Leeds Arts University
Writing is a valuable social currency and opens up doors. The course offers unique opportunities to develop a portfolio of creative and critical writing in a lively and stimulating environment. The creative possibilities of the written word are enhanced and invigorated by working collaboratively alongside new and established visual and performing arts courses.
You’ll write in the real world and be encouraged to enter competitions, write for review, write to briefs, and write alongside visual and performative creatives. You will be guided through a range of creative writing landscapes including writing for performance, prose writing, short fiction, art criticism, poetry, script writing, and novel writing, new media and zines. You will be encouraged to think locally and globally about the place, purpose and reach of writing, exploring online platforms as well the potential of the festival, gallery and event space.
You will learn to successfully employ a range of critical thinking skills that will enable you to make sound and valid judgements about the value and role of fiction and non-fiction, becoming a critical reader, thinker and producer of language. You’ll consider the role of writing as a social, cultural, historical and political meaning maker, and explore its contemporary relevance.
A positive approach to a writing life is emphasised. You are encouraged to develop cultural awareness and a reflective, self-aware and critically analytical mind-set that will equip you to take on the writing world with a portfolio of transferable skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Year One — The writing workshop plays a central role as a collaborative exercise to accelerate and consolidate student learning. It will expand your critical vocabulary and develop technical skills in the drafting and editing work required of a professional writer.
- Year Two — You will now be developing a clear sense of your writing directions and favoured mode of production, and will produce work that responds to outward facing briefs and opportunities. Tutorials, masterclasses and collaborative project work continue to help you focus on technical skills, which may include the use of screenwriting, editing and publishing software.
- Year Three —The final year gives you the opportunity to negotiate, develop and complete a major writing project, and culminates in the production of a substantial body of work appropriate to, and contributing with originality to, your writing platform.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 1399 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 112 UCAS points from any combination of A Levels/ Extended Diploma/ Foundation Diploma. One qualification should be in a relevant subject
- BBC from 3 A Levels
- A minimum of Distinction and 2 Merits (DMM) from an Extended Diploma or a Merit from a UAL Extended Diploma
- All applicants aged under 21 must have GCSE English at Grade 4/ Grade C or above
- Evidence of your writing interests in the form of samples of your work. Your work should demonstrate your developing imaginative and creative skills
International15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Seven £2000 scholarships are available as a tuition fee discount for your first year of study. You can apply for the scholarship after receiving an offer to study here. Successful recipients will be informed during the first week of June.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.