On this BSc (Hons) Biochemistry degree course, you'll explore life at its most fundamental level. You’ll examine the way cells and molecules work and discover how this knowledge can help fight disease, edit genomes, develop new sources of fuel and biofuels, and explain human and animal development.
Fully accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, this course can lead to career paths in academic and industrial research, teaching, forensic science, the biotech and pharmaceutical industries, and the health service. On completion you can apply for Associate Membership of the Royal Society of Biology.
What you’ll experience
On this degree course, you'll:
- Learn to become a professional scientist with the latest theory backed up by lab training
- Study genes and cells, how they work at molecular level and clone DNA in practical classes
- Understand the role of biochemistry in developing fuel and biofuels, fighting disease, and researching animal and human development
- Learn from academic staff who are doing trailblazing research into epigenetics, developmental biology, molecular biology, microbiology and molecular biophysics
- Get involved with the European Xenopus Resource Centre, one of the largest frog resource facilities in the world
- Access our molecular biology research labs, globally regarded as some of the best available at a university
- Use the latest tech such as X-ray diffractometers, nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers and instrumentation for protein purification
- Have the opportunity to apply to the Erasmus+ exchange scheme, which involves a summer research placement at a European university
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great role when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships and voluntary roles that will complement your studies.
Teaching methods on this course include:
- computer classes
- practical lab work
- one-on-one tutorials
You can access all teaching resources on Moodle, our virtual learning environment, from anywhere with a Web connection.
You’ll be assessed through:
- coursework, essays and write-ups
- online exams
- data analysis problems
- research project
- written exams
- multiple choice tests
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
What can you do with a Biochemistry degree?
There are many career paths a BSc (Hons) Biochemistry degree can lead you to. Previous students have gone on to do valuable work in fields such as:
- industrial research
- academic research leading to a PhD
- biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries
- science teaching
- the health service
- scientific writing and the media
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Each module on this course is worth a certain number of credits, usually 20 or 40.
In each year, you need to study modules worth a total of 120 credits. For example, 4 modules worth 20 credits and 1 module worth 40 credits.
- Biodiversity and Evolution – 20 credits
- Experimental Biology – 20 credits
- Introduction to Cell Biology and Biochemistry – 20 credits
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology – 20 credits
- Perspectives in Biochemistry – 20 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesChemistry Biochemistry Genetics View 463 other Masters in Biochemistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 120-128 points to include 3 A levels, or equivalent, including Biology and Chemistry, with 40 points from either A level Biology or Chemistry. Applicants will normally need to pass the separate Science Practical Endorsement
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16400 GBP per year and a duration of .
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of .
*Tuition fee may be subject to annual increase.**Tuition fee is subject to annual increase.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.