By exploring the latest scientific theory through lab training, you'll gain the skills and expertise to become a professional biochemist and apply for Associate Membership of the RSB on graduation.
Careers and opportunities
Biochemistry is the study of the chemistry within living things – everything from humans and animals, to plants and cells. It combines biology, chemistry and physiology to develop new approaches within many scientific fields, including healthcare and medicine, agriculture, biotechnology and the environment.
This means there is a huge range of sectors you can go into with a biochemistry degree, and there will always be a high demand for your skills.
Once you complete your BSc Biochemistry (Hons) degree at University of Portsmouth , you’ll be ready for a career in scientific research, forensic science or pharmaceuticals. With specialist modules like Business for Biosciences and Genes and Development, you’ll have many opportunities to discover your niche.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Cell Biology – 20 credits
- Enzymes and Metabolism – 20 credits
- Genetic Engineering – 20 credits
Macromolecules – 20 credits
- Business for Biosciences
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biochemistry Genetics View 411 other Bachelors in Genetics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A levels – ABB–BBB
- UCAS points – 120-128 points to include 3 A levels, or equivalent, including Biology and Chemistry, with 40 points from either A level Biology or Chemistry. For A levels which include a separate science practical component, a pass is desirable and may strengthen an application (calculate your UCAS points)
- T levels – Merit. Acceptable T Level Subjects: T Level in Health, T level in Science. Applications with Merit can be considered, but applicants will require adequate qualifications in chemistry
- BTECs (Extended Diplomas) – DDM
- International Baccalaureate – 27
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18300 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.