The development of software and smart, efficient information technology solutions is changing the way we live our lives. From developing self-driving cars to smart devices and social media, people who have the skills to create innovative products utilizing technology and management are increasingly in demand. The Software Engineering and Management programme of the University of Gothenburg will develop your social, technical, and management skills, all important for a successful career in any domain. You will practice working in teams to gain experience in various roles important to your future career and to gain an understanding of the strength of a cohesive team.
A well-rounded, collaborative, project-based education
The programme addresses methods and techniques for developing software, asking the right questions to customers, translating customer answers into design, and managing projects, organizations, and development teams. You will develop technical skills, the capability to analyse problems, the ability to estimate time and cost for development projects, and the capacity to communicate and interact with customers and other partners in software development projects. A strength of our programme compared to others is the dual focus on software engineering and management skills.
The programme has a tight relationship to the software industry, which is an important aspect of the programme. Within the courses and projects, we collaborate with practitioners from industry and you are introduced to realistic problems experienced in the software industry through guest lecturers and supervisors from industry. A key element of the curriculum is the focus on problem-based and project-based learning. You will work on broad and complex problem definitions and learn to structure and solve bigger problems by dividing them into smaller tasks.
Preparing you for a successful career
You will be trained to take responsibility for your learning, and the teachers, supervisors, and the educational environment are all resources in this process. The programme is open to students from around the world, and we embrace the influence of this international group of students. We take pride in standing out among other bachelor’s programmes by offering ours completely in English, and our international environment—with teachers and students from all over the world—will prepare you for master’s studies in various fields or a career in industry, in Sweden or internationally.
Practice your learning in hackathons
In a hackathon, students and professionals come together in teams to create and build software solutions to cases provided by the organizer. You can participate in hackathons as an extracurricular activity, providing you an opportunity to practice and test your knowledge on real-world cases in collaboration with companies and non-profit organizations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Team Programming
- Systems Development
- Distributed Systems Development
- Cyber Physical Systems and Systems of Systems
- Software Engineering for A1 Systems
- Software Engineering Research and Practice
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 3 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- General entrance requirements for university studies and the Swedish upper secondary courses English B, Mathematics C or English 6, Mathematics 3b/3c or equivalent.
- Selection is based upon your average grade from upper secondary school (66 %) and Högskoleprovet - Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test (33 %)
- Have successfully completed your upper secondary (high school) education (post-16)
- Be able to demonstrate proficiency in English
- For students who have received their final school grades after 31 December 2009, there is an additional mathematics requirement: the student must have successfully completed courses in mathematics equal to the Swedish courses Mathematics 1a, 1b or 1c
International14429 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 43287 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
- Full education cost: 438,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.