It is a curriculum aiming to prepare students for the more complex and interrelated world. No country or company is an island these days – they are all affected by political, societal and economic trends, national and international policies, governmental and non-governmental actors.
The Politics and Governance program from Tallinn University equips students with a broad knowledge basis to prepare them for a future not just in the government or party politics, but also as knowledgeable and able actors in international organisations, the third sector or even private sector.
The programme welcomes students from across the world who are interested in politics, governance and international relations and see their future somehow related to this field. Whether you want to pursue an international career or advance some aspect of life in your hometown, or simply could not tune out from following Donald Trump’s accession to the presidency of the United States, the programme of politics and governance should be both interesting and useful for you.
The programme contains many elective courses, so it is a good option for both students who have a strong interest in some particular field of politics and governance, but also suits students who have not yet decided about their specialisation and would like a good general education in social sciences.
Why study with us?
- The politics and governance BA is a brand new programme launched in 2016, yet is based on the success of its Estonian sister programme which has been one of the most popular programmes with student applicants in Estonia for years.
- It offers a – roughly half of the programme consists of compulsory courses while the student can choose between different specialisations and free electives in the other half.good ratio of focus and flexibility
- Good spring board for MA studies – while there is an ample selection of English degree programmes in political science, public management and administration, governance and international relations across Europe, our programme is one of the few English politics and governance BA programmes in continental Europe.
- Broad career prospects – our Estonian sister programme shows that students have many possible career paths in public service, media industries, political parties and NGO-s as well as in entrepreneurship.
A graduate of any BA programme is primarily expected to continue studies to obtain an MA degree. More than 20 years of experience indicates that our graduates are well prepared to enter further studies in European universities and beyond.
The Politics and Governance BA programme also provides basic competences to work, especially in NGOs but also in public administration, enterprises and international organisations. This is supported by a more specialised elective module and practical training.Examples of the currently high ranking politics and governance alumni of Tallinn University include Deputy Secretary General for economic development in the ministry of economic affairs and communications Viljar Lubi, head of the Estonian foreign intelligence service Mikk Marran and head of national financial control department in the ministry of finance Kaur Siruli, but also the head of Elering (one of the largest companies in Estonia) Taavi Veskimägi, deputy chairman of the Estonian Centre Party Jaanus Karilaid and programme director of the TV channel ETV+ Darja Saar.
- Society and Law
- Public Management
- Entrepreneurship and Economics
- Comparative Politics and Governance
- Political Sociology
- Democratic Statehood
- State, Politics and Government
- Governmental Institutions and Organisations
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Non-EU/EEA applicants (except applicants from the United Kingdom, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Kazakhstan):15 March
- EU/EEA citizens and applicants from the United Kingdom, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Kazakhstan:1 June
- Finnish, Latvian and Lithuanian citizens who have obtained general secondary education in Finland, Latvia, Lithuania:5 August
DisciplinesInternational Relations Public Policy Political Science
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Tallinn University and/or in Estonia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Completed Secondary Education or the equivalent
- Proof of English Proficiency
- The entrance exam consists of written assignment (a motivation letter that includes answers to the questions concerning their motivation and desire to study at the programme) and an interview via Skype.
- Maximum number of points is 100 (50% written, 50% oral part).
- Students receiving at least 30 points of the written part are allowed to the oral interview.
- BA: Minimum programme enrollment threshold: 65 points out of 100.
- Written assignment.
International3920 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3920 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA3920 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3920 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Tallinn
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.