The Oral Health Science course offered by the University of Essex is a programme which leads to the award of a Foundation Degree, and qualifies you to register with the General Dental Council (GDC)* as a Dental Hygienist. It is based on the General Dental Council’s (GDC’s) guidance document Developing the Dental Team and is kept under continual review to ensure that you are ‘fit to practise’ upon qualification.
Foundation degrees are work-related, higher education qualifications designed in conjunction with employers to offer accessible and flexible learning opportunities relevant to a student’s career. A foundation degree is shorter than a standard undergraduate degree but is a higher education qualification in its own right and it can be used as a progression route to a full undergraduate degree.
The successful completion of this programme leads to the award of a Foundation Degree Oral Health Science, with 240 academic credits. This qualification is recognised by the General Dental Council (GDC) and gives you eligibility to register as a dental hygienist.
The General Dental Council quality assures and approves qualifications for registration, for the following registrant groups: Dentists; dental hygienists; dental therapists; dental nurses; clinical dental technicians; dental technicians; and orthodontic therapists.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Personal Effectiveness
- Clinical Governance and Patient Safety
- Biomedical and Psychosocial Science for Dental Practice
- Health Policy, Law and Ethics
- Promotion of Oral Health and Prevention of Oral Disease
- Development of Practical Skills, Practice Supervisor Report
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDentistry Health Sciences View 49 other Bachelors in Dentistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- GCSE: Mathematics and English C/4. Acceptable alternatives to our GCSE Maths and English requirements are listed further down this page.
- GCSE Science C/4 is also required if you are applying with a National Dental Nurse Certificate or Diploma in Dental Nursing.
- Plus one of the following:
- A-levels: CC to include a core science (Biology, Chemistry, Applied Science or Physics)
- BTEC: MPP in a science-related subject.
- Access to Higher Education Diploma in a science-related subject - 45 Level 3 credits at Pass or above.
- T-levels: Pass with E in core in a science-related subject
- National Dental Nurse Certificate or Diploma in Dental Nursing, along with:
- a minimum of two years' experience from either pre- or post-qualification employment (please list employment details carefully on your UCAS application); and
- GCSE Science C/4 – can be single Science, Biology, Chemistry or Physics
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25000 GBP per year during 24 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.