As an international student in Europe, one of the most useful things you’ll learn is how to get by on your own and manage your budget. As international studies are often high-priced, we’ll give you the first tips for your future Bachelor’s degree abroad — 8 EU countries where Bachelors are affordable both in terms of tuition fees and living costs.
1. Spain — study where the sun always shines
One of the friendliest international student destinations is chatty, sunny Spain. Universities in Spain have some of the lowest tuition fees in Europe for non-EU students, 750 - 2,100 EUR/year. As a Bachelor’s student in Spain, you can make ends meet in most cities with a budget between 650 and 1,100 EUR/month. Great fields of study for international students in Spain are:
- Bachelors in Arts and Design in Spain
- Bachelors in Political Science in Spain
- Bachelors in Business in Spain
2. Poland — discover a nursery of Nobel Laureates
Poland prides itself with no less than 17 Nobel laureates, and this is just one of the many interesting facts that you probably didn’t know about this country. You can discover more of them if you choose to study in this affordable EU country. The living costs in Poland are amazingly low ranging between 400 - 700 EUR/month. If you don’t speak Polish and you’re not from an EU country, you will pay an average tuition of 2,000 EUR/year for English-taught Bachelors. Some of the most popular study choices for international Bachelor’s students are:
- Bachelors in Engineering in Poland
- Bachelors in Computer Science in Poland
- Bachelors in Management in Poland
3. Greece — feel like you’re on holiday while studying
The cradle of sciences and philosophy, Greece still lives up to its all-to-popular ancient history. Studying today in Greece means embracing a laid-back attitude that gives you space to reflect on what you learn in class. Plus, everything is affordable.
The student living costs in Greece are around 500 EUR/month, but it can also take you to around 700 EUR/month.
As an EU student, there’s no tuition for Bachelor’s studies. But even if you’re from outside the EU, the average tuition fee is 1,500 EUR/year which is more than a bargain.
If you don’t want to miss the chance of studying in an extraordinary destination, where you don’t have to worry about the costs of your Bachelor’s studies, check out some of the most popular study options in Greece:
- Bachelors in Business Administration
- Bachelors in Tourism and Leisure
- Bachelors in International Relations in Greece
4. Germany — free higher education for everyone
The secret behind Germany’s world-class research and innovation is free access to undergraduate and graduate studies — for everyone. Here it does not matter where you come from; you don’t have to pay to do a Bachelor’s at a public university. This alone is great news, but if you also take into account that average living expenses in Germany are 800 EUR/month, it’s no wonder international students choose Bachelor’s programmes like:
- Bachelors in Business in Germany
- Bachelors in Economics in Germany
- Bachelors in Engineering in Germany
5. Italy — experience la dolce vita
A country with a rich cultural heritage, Italy is a very accessible study destination for international students. Bachelors cost foreign students around 1,000 EUR/year, but there are both cheaper and pricier programmes. Going to a student city makes studying in Italy more affordable, as living expenses can be between 650 and 950 EUR/ month. So be sure to check out:
- Bachelors in Art and Architecture in Italy
- Bachelors in Business in Italy
- Bachelors in Economics in Italy
6. Austria — study in the country of famous composers and carmakers
Austria, the native country of composers like Mozart and Beethoven, or carmaker Ferdinand Porsche, will surprise you with its affordable living expenses and tuition fees. The costs of living in Austria can fall between 800 and 1,200 EUR/month.If you come from an EU country — lucky you — there is no tuition at Austrian public universities. If you come from a non-EU country then you will have to pay around 750-1,450 EUR/year for your studies. Which — let’s face it — is a good deal considering some of the Bachelor’s programmes Austria has to offer:
7. Finland – learn the art of efficient organization
One of the most organised countries in the EU, Finland is a great study destination because of the over 400 study programmes in English. What attracts international Bachelor’s students, even more, are the reasonable living costs in Finland — you can make it with a budget between 700 and 1,100 EUR/month budget.
All public universities Bachelor’s programmes in Finland are free for anyone in the EU and start at 1,500 EUR/ year for non-EU students. Careful though! These fees can go up to 16,000 EUR/ year for certain programmes, so pay attention when you’re searching for a degree. We also did a little research for you and some of the Finnish Bachelors with the best quality-cost ratio are:
- Bachelors in International Business in Finland
- Bachelors in Visual Arts in Finland
- Bachelors in Engineering in Finland
8. France — enjoy the country of inventions and tourism
One of the most visited countries in the world and birthplace to so many inventors it’s hard to keep track, France has very balanced costs for those who want to pursue a Bachelor’s degree here. Paris excepted, living costs range between 700 and 950 EUR/month.
Tuition fees in France are zero for most EU and non-EU students. When universities do practice fees — they are usually around 300 - 400 EUR/year. Study options are plenty, but the most sought-after are:
- Bachelors in Arts and Design in France
- Bachelors in Economics in France
- Bachelors in International Business in France
Great universities in affordable European countries
These countries are not only a money-wise option for your international Bachelor’s studies. Many of them have universities that are recognised internationally as offering top quality education. Fear not! This does not mean you’ll turn into a bookworm and make going to a library a social event. Some great universities that offer you exciting programmes, and time for a real social life are:
- MetFilm School Berlin, in Berlin, Germany
- University of Leuven, in Leuven, Belgium
- University of Gdansk, in Gdansk, Poland
- INSA Lyon, in Lyon, France
- Accademia del Lusso, in Milan, Italy
- IE University, in Segovia, Spain
Doing a Bachelor’s or Master's degree in a European country will transform you in ways you probably don’t imagine now, but we guarantee it will be a lifetime experience, in any country you choose to study. Just make sure you know what to expect in terms of tuition and living costs, or how to manage your finances during your studies, and you’ll do great!