Biotechnology from University of Pretoria is an interdepartmental programme aimed at empowering students to pursue their interest in biotechnology with particular emphasis on molecular biology. Undergraduate training includes exposure to aspects of biochemistry, genetics and microbiology, in addition to the other subjects of a student’s choice. Students are encouraged to decide on their postgraduate research direction during the course of their undergraduate studies and to choose their electives accordingly.
Graduates mostly find work as laboratory-based researchers or bio-entrepreneurs using medical, animal, plant or microbe-based technologies to develop products and services. If students combine biotechnology with additional qualifications such as law, they will be equipped for success in careers such as patent law, pharmaceutical sales and marketing, project management, computer programming (natural computation) and science journalism. Please note that the level of training and qualification plays an important role in determining the type of work a qualified biotechnologist can pursue.
- Plant biology
- General chemistry
- Molecular and cell biology
- Physics for biology students
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiotechnology Biochemistry Genetics View 16 other Bachelors in Biotechnology in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The following persons will be considered for admission: candidates who are in possession of a certificate that is deemed by the University to be equivalent to the required National Senior Certificate with university endorsement, candidates who are graduates from another tertiary institution or have been granted the status of a graduate of such an institution, and candidates who are graduates of another faculty at the University of Pretoria.
- Life Orientation is excluded from the calculation of the Admission Point Score (APS).
- Grade 11 results are used for the conditional admission of prospective students. Final admission is based on Grade 12 results.
International5570 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5570 EUR per year during 36 months.
National2785 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2785 EUR per year during 36 months.
SA and SADC countries citizens - 48 000 – 59 000 ZAR
Living costs for Pretoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.