This is one of several specialist routes available in our BA (Honours) Arts and Humanities (R14). The degree starts by developing your understanding of the world we live in through a variety of perspectives, periods and subjects – including art history, classical studies, creative writing, English language, English literature, history, modern languages, music, philosophy, and religious studies itself. You’ll then take two specialist religious studies modules, exploring religions as an important aspect of human culture, society and politics and their role and significance in various debates and controversies. The modules cover many different contemporary and historical contexts. Your learning in this exciting subject will be supported by books, podcasts, videos and interactive materials.
Alongside your study of religious studies, you can choose to study a second specialism from the subjects listed above, entitling you to include both subjects in the name of your degree, or complete your degree with modules chosen from a wide range of options.
Key features of the course Arts and Humanities (Religious Studies) (Honours) from
- Specialise in religious studies within a broad and flexible arts and humanities degree
- Study religions from a variety of approaches and perspectives and across historical and present-day contexts
- Develop a range of skills that will be valuable in the workplace and to further study
- Select a second specialism to complement and enhance your study of religions
Employers greatly value the high-level critical thinking, analysis, and communication skills acquired by studying a humanities degree. You’ll sharpen your IT, writing, and independent thinking skills; and develop the ability to assimilate and evaluate relevant information in constructing an argument. These are key skills in complex organisations, greatly sought after in the world beyond study – whether you’re already working, volunteering, or changing career.
Study of the arts and humanities requires an understanding of human activities in diverse cultural environments and in very different historical circumstances. The breadth of study and range of cultural texts and objects analysed, combined with training in clear thinking and communication, make this degree course relevant to a wide variety of careers, including:
- public administration, local government, the civil service, art institutions, and social services
- advertising, journalism, publishing, creative industries and public relations
- legal work
- business, banking and retail
- human resources
- charities and campaigning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Discovering the arts and humanities
- Exploring religion: places, practices, texts and experiences
- Why is religion controversial?
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Liberal Arts View 5 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- At The Open University we believe education should be open to all, so we provide a high-quality university education to anyone who wishes to realise their ambitions and fulfil their potential.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
Our current fee for 120 credits – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study – is £6,192
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.