During the Sport Coaching (Hons) course from Hartpury College you’ll focus on developing your skills, learning from real-life experiences designed to give you the expertise to be a sports coach. Our near-professional sports campus is the perfect place for you to build your expertise, ready for your career.
Right from day one, you’ll focus on excellence in sports coaching and meeting industry demands. In your first year, a wide range of modules will give you a good understanding of what’s required to be a successful sports coach. Subjects such as sport and exercise psychology, and sport development and leadership, will help to prepare you for industry.
Your second year will see you focus your studies in the direction you want to take your coaching career. You’ll become a coaching mentor to a first year student and have the opportunity to gain valuable experience with young athletes and/or children at primary schools.
In your final year you’ll plan and deliver a 12-week coaching programme to apply everything you’ve learnt in a practical setting. Your dissertation will enable you to focus your academic learning on a specialist topic that you want to learn more about.
This will strengthen your expertise in your chosen area, which you can use to strengthen your coaching practice. You’ll build a diverse portfolio of experience, which you can use to evidence your coaching expertise, experience and philosophy to employers when you graduate.
You’ll be encouraged to gain as much coaching experience as possible throughout the duration of your course, to ensure you’re well prepared for your career. We have excellent partnerships with the Football Association and the Rugby Football Union as well as with Active Gloucestershire and Gloucester Athletics.
You’ll be able to attend our annual Club Night to meet local employers and explore professional opportunities. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our Sports Academy athletes on campus as part of your learning.
Our sport graduates work in a range of sport, exercise, health and wellbeing areas at both performance, school and community sports sectors. Studying sport also develops the skills needed for other graduate careers. Recent graduate destinations have included:
- Football Coach, Paris Saint Germain
- Rugby coach, Play Rugby USA
- Rowing coach, Canterbury Christchurch College
- Head of Sport, private school
- Sport Development lead, Young Gloucestershire
- Performance Analyst, Gloucester Rugby
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Coaching Practice Portfolio
- Academic Skills for Sport
- Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Sport Development and Leadership
- Introduction to Exercise Physiology
- Skill Acquisition
- Comparative Sports Study
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Missed the 15 January UCAS deadline? Don’t worry, you can still apply for many of our courses.
DisciplinesSports Management Coaching Sports Sciences View 479 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- GCSE - A minimum of 5 GCSE A* to C, (or 9 to 4 where numeric grades are being awarded) or equivalent, to include English Language and Mathematics.
- A Level - Typical offer is ABB-BBC or equivalent. This must include a minimum of two A Levels including one in a Biological Science, Sports Studies or PE subject.
- Vocational award - Typical offer is a DDM-DMM in an Extended Diploma or equivalent in a relevant subject.
- We welcome students with equivalent qualifications, including Access and the International Baccalaureate.
- We may interview mature applicants and those with non-traditional qualifications.
International13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Gloucester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.