The journey to becoming an eyecare practitioner begins with a strong foundation in basic life sciences, followed by a thorough grounding in the optometric sciences. In the second half of the Optometry (Honours) from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, students acquire clinical skills that enable them to effectively manage a wide variety of visual problems.
The five semesters of supervised clinical training with real patients in our Optometry Clinic and our satellite clinics give students many opportunities to learn to care for patients and consolidate their clinical skills and knowledge.
Optometrists are the main providers of vision care in the community. Most of our graduates initially enter optometric practice as employees. Many subsequently establish their own practices. Some of them work in government agencies such as the Hospital Authority and the Department of Health.
Apart from optometric practice, there are also opportunities in the optical industry, particularly in the area of professional services. A small number of our graduates pursue postgraduate research studies locally and overseas.
- The programme comprises General University Requirements (GUR) and four main areas of study: basic sciences, optometric sciences, clinical sciences and clinical and professional training.
- Years One and Two concentrate on general education and basic sciences to establish a sound base of knowledge.
- Years Three and Four develop students' optometric clinical techniques for clinical practice.
- Years Four and Five focus on clinical training (a total of 5 semesters). Students examine patients and gain valuable clinical experience.
- A research project is conducted in Years Four and Five.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine Health Sciences View 12 other Bachelors in Human Medicine in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subject(s) with the highest weighting for admission score calculation include(s):
- English Language
- Mathematics (Extended part - Calculus and Statistics)
- Mathematics (Extended part - Algebra and Calculus)
- Combined Science: Biology + Chemistry
- Combined Science: Biology + Physics
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
International18684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18684 USD per year during 60 months.
National5425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5425 USD per year during 60 months.
- HK$42,100 per academic year for local students.
- For non-local students, the tuition fee is HK$145,000
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.