The Psychology (Counselling) (Hons) course from the University of Northampton will introduce you to the central concepts of both psychology and counselling before moving on to explore the subject in more depth, according to your interests. You will have the opportunity to study areas as diverse as psychology in educational settings to parapsychology and anomalous events.
This course offers you various volunteering opportunities, careers events and workshops which will enhance your employability once you have graduated.
You will have an opportunity to develop your understanding of the key theories and concepts in psychology and counselling, learning basic counselling skills and gaining an understanding of the professional context of counselling work. The applied nature of counselling psychology will be emphasised throughout the programme.
In addition to a focus on counselling concepts, issues and skills, this course will allow you to analyse and understand human behaviour, thought and emotions, from many different psychological perspectives. If you are looking to become a counsellor then this course provides you with a basis for professional level training.
If you are studying this course full-time you will take 120 credits each academic year. You will study a mix of core subjects and can choose from a range of modules which reflect your interests. At each level, you will take a core module in Counselling combining three key elements:
- key concepts and ideas
- the development of self-awareness
- the development of counselling skills
- This course prepares you for training in counselling and counselling psychology as well as other areas. Upon completion of this course you can also obtain chartered status as a clinical, educational, occupational, health or forensic psychologist.
- Choose to pursue a career as an academic psychologist, conducting research and teaching in higher education. Continue your studies and enhance your career prospects by studying our MSc in Counselling Children and Young People or our MSc Counselling.
- Psychology degrees provide an excellent grounding for a diverse range of non-psychological careers. The listening and communication skills developed on this degree course will be highly valuable in a range of health and social care professions.
- This programme is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Psychology in Practice
- Conceptual and Historical Issues in Psychology
- Becoming a Psychologist
- Cognitive Psychology
- Positive Psychology
- Psychology for Life
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Clinical Psychology View 132 other Masters in Counselling in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- BBC at A Level or DDM at BTEC Extended Diploma.
- In addition, you will be expected to have achieved GCSE Maths at Grade C/4 or above. Domestic equivalencies are not accepted, apart from Access applicants who must take 12 credits of Maths Level 2 or 6 credits of Maths Level 3 as part of their Access course. International equivalencies will be reviewed on application.
- The standard entry requirements for the Integrated Foundation Year are DEE at A level or MPP at BTEC.
International13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK Part Time: £1,465 per 20 credit module
- UK Integrated Foundation Year: £6,780
- International Integrated Foundation Year: £13,000
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.