You will build your confidence with painting and drawing, informed by historical and contemporary references, cultural and social contexts and the professional requirements you will need to meet when you graduate.
The structure of the Fine Art Painting & Drawing (Hons) programme from the University of Northampton is designed to introduce students to a wide variety of new ideas, techniques and processes in year one and to offer them a wide-ranging expansion of the possibilities of both painting and drawing.
Throughout this course, your ideas will be nurtured and developed by a close relationship with our team of specialists, visiting artists and other students.
You will graduate with a unique balance of critical, practical and creative skills. This course will give you the opportunity to explore the practices of painting and drawing in depth, developing an awareness of historical precedent and contemporary issues, which would not be available to you in a multi-disciplinary art course. You will be taught through studio practice, specialist media workshops, professional study components and a programme of lectures and seminars. The course in its entirety will give you an informed and critical understanding of contemporary practices and debates.
Above all, the course encourages you to develop a creative and critical intelligence capable of integrating innovative thinking with practical ability. You will benefit from spacious and well-equipped facilities and links to the Milton Keynes Gallery, NN Contemporary Art (Northampton), Corby Cube Gallery and Rugby Museum and Art Gallery. There are also trips involved in the course, which have included France, Italy, Spain, India and the USA. All of our staff are practicing artists who publish and exhibit nationally and internationally. We have regular visits from innovative arts organizations such as Artangel and internationally renowned artists including Richard Long, Ian Davenport, Mark Francis, Jenny Saville, Marcus Harvey, Dan Hays, Michael Landy, Richard Deacon, Ian McKeever and Richard Wilson.
- An exciting, diverse and contemporary approach to painting and drawing based around the development of each student’s individual interests.
- New studios and a personal studio space for each student.
- Access to one of the country’s leading printmaking workshops with excellent technical support.
- Access to specialist digital facilities supporting digital image and time-based imagery. The course also has access to VR technology and digital microscopes.
- Passionate, enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff with a diverse range of specialisms and subject knowledge.
- National and international level visiting speakers.
- Proximity to London, one of the world’s leading centres for art (less than an hour by train).
- Guaranteed paid internship with the Northampton Employment Promise.
- HP Laptop and software included with this course.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Extended Studio Practice and Context
- Painting, Drawing & Printmaking
- Understanding the Visual
- Painting and Drawing
- Professional Studies
- Painting in the Expanded Field
- Practice Exhibition (Fine Art Painting and Drawing)
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 584 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Standard entry requirements apply. A typical offer would be BCC at A-Level or DMM at BTEC. In addition, applicants are expected to have studied art or a relevant subject at A-Level, BTEC or equivalent. Foundation Diplomas in Art and Design are also accepted.
- Applicants are interviewed and are requested to provide a portfolio of their own work in art and design. International students may submit their portfolio electronically. Students with a relevant HND or foundation degree with a suitable profile of achievement may be admitted onto year two or three.
- Admission to this foundation programme is normally DEE at A-Level or MPP at BTEC. However, we would also like to hear from you if you have professional or industry experience instead, a range of other qualifications or self-developed subject knowledge that relates to the programme you wish to study.
International13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13000 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- Part Time UK: £1,465 per 20 credits module
- UK Integrated Foundation Year: £6,780
- International Integrated Foundation Year: £13,000
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.