The Game Design and Graphics programme at Uppsala University provides skills in developing games for commercial production, as well as a deeper understanding of how games work and how they affect us.
The programme mixes practical game development and theoretical courses within game design and graphics. In the programme, we explore theories and methods in game design, game development and game analysis. Game developers need good communicative skills both to communicate with their team and to shape the experience that the game will provide. To reflect this, the programme provides training in expression through text, imagery and games, as well as verbal communication.
One of the programme’s strengths is its well-established contact with the game industry. This is why the programme’s former students make up an especially useful network. Through yearly recurring events notable individuals from the international game industry, former students and academics are invited to judge student projects and share their experience. This provides an excellent opportunity for you to build your own contact network for your future career.
Former students have gone on to become both business owners running their own studios and employees at some of the most successful game studios in the world. Notable examples of companies where former students have found work include Blizzard Entertainment, Massive Entertainment, Starbreeze Studios, Crytek, Fatshark, Frictional Games, Ubisoft, Avalanche, Lionhead, CCP, DICE and Might and Delight. A number of graduates also work within the Swedish higher education sector, teaching and running game design programmes.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Game Design
- Art in Games and Games as an Art Form
- Expression and 2D Graphics for Games
- Game Production: Arcade Games
- Expression, 3D Modelling and Texturing for Games
- Expression with 3D Environment Art for Games
- Game Production: Vertical Slice
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGraphic Design Video Games & Animation Human Computer Interaction View 4 other Bachelors in Video Games & Animation in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- General entry requirements for first-cycle (Bachelor's level) studies in Sweden. Also required is intermediate level mathematics (equivalent of Swedish course Mathematics 2a/2b/2c).
- All applicants need to verify English language proficiency that corresponds to English studies at upper secondary (high school) level in Sweden ("English 6").
- Students are selected based on: their completed upper secondary (high school) grades (67%); Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test (33%)
International10479 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31438 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
- Tuition fee, first semester: SEK 55,000
- Tuition fee, total: SEK 330,000
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.