Study in Luxembourg
About half a million people live in Luxembourg. In spite of its small size, Luxembourg has high ambitions towards school, education and learning. In fact, the great importance given to education, with a special emphasis on research, is part of the country’s strategy to establish strong international relations and cooperation. Luxembourg includes only one university founded in 2003.
Find the best information about what it’s like to study in Luxembourg, including degree course offers, career opportunities, student life, living costs, and more.
Luxembourg is a modern society both multilingual and multicultural. In 2012, 6,200 students coming from 100 countries studied at the University of Luxembourg. The country’s priority is “Education and Learning in Multilingual and Multicultural Contexts”. Courses are usually held in two languages: French/English, French/German, or English/German.
The country holds partnership agreements with universities worldwide. These agreements cover student exchange, researcher exchange and international cooperation.
General application requirements
Application requirements may be different depending on the student’s country of origin.
Students from EU countries:
- Fill in online application.
- High-school graduation diploma recognized by the Luxembourg government.
- In some cases an admission examination may be required.
Students from non-EU countries:
- Make sure you meet specific study programme requirements;
- High-school graduation diploma or equivalent recognized by the Luxembourg government;
- Fill in online application;
- To make an application for admission to the University of Luxembourg, the copy of your diploma and transcripts must be issued with the official apostille certificate or a double legalization;
- Study visa;
- Residence permit including proof of proper accommodation for the duration of your studies.
Make sure and ask for detailed information before you apply for a study programme.
Find more information about how to apply for a degree in Luxembourg.
In order to strengthen the intercultural relations and student personal development, many study programmes require a mandatory semester abroad. Studies are interdisciplinary and skill oriented.
Although French, German and the local Luxembourgish are the official languages of the country, study courses are also available in English.
English language preparation for studying in Luxembourg
Develop your academic English language skills in order to meet the English language requirements at Luxembourgian universities offering degree studies for international students. Choose an English language school anywhere in the world and pick your preferred English exam preparation course from diverse language course options.
The University of Luxembourg is a research-oriented university, with high-priority focus on:
- Security, Reliability and Trust in Information Technology
- Systems Biomedicine
- International Finance
- European and Business Law
- Education and Learning in Multilingual and Multicultural Contexts
Two research centres:
- The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust;
- The Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine, partly funded by the Government within the country’s “Health Science Plan”.
Non-EU students planning to study in Luxembourg must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of that country.
The following documents are required:
- A passport valid for at least three months longer than the validity of the visa
- One application form and two passport size photographs.
- Proof of accommodation during studies.
- Evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of your stay in the country.
- Adequate medical insurance;
- A letter from the school, college or university confirming attendance.
- You may be requested to produce further documentation.