Study in Luxembourg
Although it is one of the tiniest countries in the world, Luxembourg offers a splendidly cosmopolitan environment and a home to plenty of top-ranked universities.
Behold! A land fit for a king! Luxembourg was one of Europe's most fortified sites, and you can still admire the wondrous walls and castles to this day today. A place dominated by historic events and with an intriguing mix of Dutch, German and French cultures, Luxembourg offers international students an enriching study experience. Think of living within a giant museum, surrounded by different languages swimming in your ears on a daily basis.
Luxembourg is also one of the safest nations in the world; and, due to its multiculturalism, any foreign student can easily adapt to the vibrant and lively atmosphere of Luxembourg.
Why study in Luxembourg
Luxembourg is a modern society that is both multilingual and multicultural. In recent years, over 6,000 students, from 100 different countries, decide to study abroad in Luxembourg. One of Luxembourg’s priorities is: “Education and Learning in Multilingual and Multicultural Contexts”. Courses are usually held in two languages: French/English, French/German, or English/German. Can you imagine such an environment?
The country holds partnership agreements with universities worldwide. These agreements cover student exchange, researcher exchange and international cooperation.
What to study in Luxembourg
Luxembourg’s universities provide Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD degrees in numerous subject areas such as Medicine, Law, Languages, Psychology, Education, Economics, Computer Science, or Social Sciences.
Here are some of the most popular study options in Luxembourg:
Major cities in Luxembourg
A big portion of the country’s universities are in Luxembourg city, the country’s capital. In Luxembourg city, you can admire several cultural sites, have dinner in fancy restaurants, and have fun in plenty of bars and clubs.
Find out more about student life in Luxembourg
Which universities to attend in Luxembourg
Luxembourg is home to 2 universities, 2 business schools, and one institution dedicated to Public Administration studies.
Examples of top universities in Luxembourg
How to apply to universities in Luxembourg
For all universities in Luxembourg, you can simply apply online by submitting the application form along with all requested application documents.
- Carefully check all the required application documents and make sure they are all translated into English. For instance, an internationally-recognised Bachelor's degree or equivalent is the main requirement when enrolling for a Master’s degree at a university in Luxembourg.
- Make sure to know what the language requirements are, and whether you need to prove skills in English before enrolling in a degree programme.
- Show how you performed as a student, and be sure to know what your Grade Point Average (GPA) was during your studies.
- To help your chances of going to Luxembourg, be sure to apply to more than one university!
Make sure you qualify for a Luxembourg university
- Take Preparation Courses: These kinds of courses enable degree-seeking students to get an extra educational boost just before they start their Master’s degree or other post-graduate degree programmes. Try a pre-M.B.A., pre-Law, or pre-Medicine programme, as well as any other foundation or preparation courses that will allow you to study in the degree programme of your choice.
- Improve your English through an English-language prep course: If you’re attending a degree programme in Luxembourg, you will sometimes need to prove that your language skills are good enough to participate in the classes and understand the lectures; some course will require German, while others will require English. Preparation courses will also prepare you for any of the English-language tests that universities require.
There are over 100 English-taught programmes in Luxembourg.
Universities in Luxembourg will want to see proof that you have good English-language skills, so that you can easily succeed in their courses. Almost all Luxembourg universities accept these official English exams: