Jaén city life
Famous for its abundance of olive trees, Jaén has so many other things to offer to visitors and tourists besides views of the olive farms. This city in eastern Andalucía will presently surprise you with nice museums, Renaissance architecture and great and beautiful mountains.
Places worth seeing in Jaén are:
- Saint Catherine's Castle (Castillo de Santa Catalina)
- Jaén Cathedral
- Arab Baths – you can see them within the Villardompardo's Palace; they are the largest Arab baths preserved in Spain
- Church of San Ildefonso
- Plaza de las Batallas
- The Museum of Arts and Popular Customs
A lovely place to have promenades is Parque (park) del Seminario, or check the Úbeda’s pottery shops (alfarería) and buy a souvenir.
You will enjoy spending your evenings in countless bars, pubs and restaurants, especially since you can buy a beer at a very affordable price and get free tapas for each drink you order.
Embrace the local culture and attend some of the local festivities, such as:
- Feria de San Lucas: takes place annually on 18 October, the biggest festival held in the city, lasts more than a week.
- Virgen de la Capilla: celebrating the appearance of the Virgin Mary in the city, held annually on June 11.
- From Jaén, you can easily travel to other cities in Spain: Cordoba is about an hour and a half away, Malaga – two hours away and Seville, two and a half hours away.
International atmosphere in Jaén
A few ethnic communities live in Jaén, mainly Moroccans, Asians (from China and Pakistan), and a relatively small number of Romanians and British people. However, Jaén counts the smallest number of immigrant population in the Andalusia area.
In terms of foreign investment, Jaén is an interesting business market, accounting for a large number of companies, including multinational businesses. The main investors countries in the region are France, Germany and United Kingdom.
While in Jaén, you will experience hot summers and quite cool winters. Jaén has summer high temperatures of around 33°C (93 °F). December and January are the coldest months, with daily temperatures of around 12 °C (53 °F). The highest amount of rainfall precipitation occurs in November and December.