About this Degree
Our courses examine American cultural life in the past and present, always with the aim of helping students better understand their experiences and their society. We study how Americans have thought about and experienced such matters as gender, ethnic, racial, and regional identities, humor, religion, crime and violence, childhood, family, the built environment, community, mental health and sickness, cultural ideals, and cultural criticism.
We are a department of engaged, energetic professors from a range of backgrounds and disciplines. In an American Studies class at California State University Fullerton you will encounter a wide range of cultural sources for study. You may read one or more novels or autobiographies, examine movies and television as cultural documents, consider the visual arts and music, or view examples of the built environment. You will also be exposed to the most recent scholarship in the rapidly developing interdisciplinary field of American culture studies.
Critical thinking and writing skills are the warp and woof of all our courses. All exams in American Studies are essay exams. All classes emphasize discussion and classroom dialogue rather than pure lecture. Students regularly write response papers in which they critically evaluate and synthesize what they have read and discussed. Students regularly conduct library and ethnographic research and write up the results of that research in ways which integrate their own findings with ideas and evidence presented in the classroom.
California State University, Fullerton, is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Many of the academic programs at CSUF are also accredited by discipline-specific accreditation agencies and associations.
- Hollywood and America: Using Film as a Cultural Document
- Women in American Society
- American Immigrant Cultures
- The American Dream
- American Culture Through Spectator Sports
- Seminar in Theory and Method of American Studies
- Prejudice and American Culture
- Disability and American Culture
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History American Studies View 2246 other Bachelors in History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
First-year students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- be a high school graduate or equivalent;
- complete the 15-unit comprehensive “A-G” pattern with a grade of C- or better by high school graduation; and
- earn a qualifying “A-G” grade point average (GPA)
- Prepare application materials such as transcripts, test scores (N/A for fall 21 and fall 22), current and planned courses, annual household income, citizenship status and social security number (if available).
International16399 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16399 USD per year during 48 months.
National8613 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8613 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State8613 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8613 USD per year during 48 months.
- If you are not a resident of California, you must add $396.00 per units enrolled to your registration and tuition fees
Living costs for Fullerton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.