In the Illustration (Hons) programme from the University of the Arts London (UAL), you will be encouraged to develop an ambition for your own practice founded on subject knowledge and which challenges the position of the illustrator within commercial, social, political and cultural contexts.
What to expect
- To explore the wider territory of the discipline while gaining an understanding of key illustration principles, themes and debates
- To investigate ideas and issues through seminar discussions, presentations and written assignments
- To test your ideas through evaluation of your practical work and writing
- To define your way of working using skills and experiences developed through workshops, technical inductions, tutorials and seminars
- To explore authorship and the reproduced image
- To identify audiences for your work
- To consider how you can make your work visible in a ‘real world’ context through end of year exhibitions
- To examine your identity as an illustrator, whilst planning and realising practical projects
- To have your ideas tested through evaluation of your practical and written work
- To investigate ideas and issues through seminar discussions, presentations and writing
- To have access to Camberwell's shared workshops that include printmaking, photography, film, moving image, digital, plastic, ceramics, wood and metalwork. View the Camberwell facilities
Work experience and opportunities
Our students gain first-hand experience through course projects with leading organisations and businesses. These have included Adidas, Channel 4, Dorling-Kindersley, The Guardian and MTV.
Students can also study abroad in the second year of their degree as part of the college's Erasmus scheme.
- Exploratory practice
- Core Practice
- Expanded practice
- Expanded practice and points of departure
- Collaborative and collective practices
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply by 25 January for equal consideration.
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts View 797 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Pass at Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Level 3 or 4)
- 2 A Levels at grade C or above
- Merit, Pass, Pass (MPP) at BTEC Extended Diploma
- Pass at UAL Extended Diploma
- Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Or equivalent EU/International qualifications, such as International Baccalaureate Diploma
- And 3 GCSE passes at grade 4 or above (grade A*-C)
Entry to this course will also be determined by the quality of your application, looking primarily at your portfolio of work, personal statement and reference.
International25970 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25970 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.