The Department of Industrial Design is one of the top professional programs in this discipline in the country. The Department of Industrial Design faculty have joined NC State University from prestigious institutions around the world, each bringing years of experience in design, research, innovation, and education. It also offers a Bachelor of Industrial Design at North Carolina State University.
Students learn and practice design in a studio environment similar to professional design offices. Students methodically study peoples’ physical and cognitive experiences during their interaction with artifacts and services in order to discover user insights and create innovative solutions.
During the design process, students are expected to creatively and critically contemplate the broader impact of their works on society and the world in addition to business and organizational implications. The dynamic and sophisticated balances between form and function and innovation and practicality are constantly debated and articulated throughout the students’ journey to better design. The department is proud of the decades of excellence in design practice and design thinking promulgated by its graduates. Their work informs, persuades and delights.
Industrial designers are concerned with the human experiences of products or services and their impact on business, society, and the environment. Working on consumer and industrial products/services, industrial designers define the total user experience from human factors, ergonomics, safety, aesthetics, materials, maintenance, to packaging and their production process, sustainability, marketability, and cost.
Thus, industrial designers must be involved in four major design and research activities:
- human behavior and experience
- the human-product interaction
- the environment
- the product itself.
Industries that NC State’s industrial design graduates enter includeconsumer electronic/communication products, furniture, housewares, appliances, transportation, tools, industrial equipment, medical instruments/ devices, human interface, system/service design, retail environment design, packing design, exhibit design, soft goods, entertainment, and recreational/sports products.
- Graphic and Industrial Design Fundamentals
- Basic Industrial Design Studio I & II
- Computer Imaging in the Design Process
- Contemporary Manufacturing Processes I & II
- Intermediate Industrial Design Studio Series
- Advanced Industrial Design Studio Series
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design View 1303 other Bachelors in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common application
- Submit the application through the Common App or the Coalition App – we do not have a preference.
- There is an $85 application fee ($100 for international applicants). You can either pay it online or provide an official fee waiver.
- Official SAT (Code # 5496) or ACT (Code # 3164) test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency
- Submit your transcript – Official academic transcripts should be submitted by your high school counselor.
- Show proof of English proficiency – If you are not from a country where English is the official or commonly spoken language, you need to show proof of English proficiency
- Complete the Certificate of Financial Responsibility
International30869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30869 USD per year during 48 months.
National30869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30869 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State9128 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9128 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Raleigh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.