We combine studio recording, music production and electronic music with other creative work such as building instruments, designing audiovisual performance systems or creating sound for interactive games.
Through our cutting-edge approaches to composition, performance and production, with this Music Technology (Hons), you’ll develop the skills to define musical practices of the future. You can tailor your degree to what inspires you most with our range of options. These include composition, performance, film and popular music, music for interactive media, music theatre and topics in media.
Taught by musicians and music technology developers, you’ll study in a great environment for music making and studies. This includes:
- masterclasses and concerts
- 24-hour access to practice rooms and recording studios including the Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts and our Jonathan Harvey Electronic Music Studio.
At University of Sussex, you learn how to use industry-standard software and develop real-world skills in:
- recording and music production
- electronic music and programming
- interactive audio-visual music.
You can also join a band or musical society and produce a portfolio of creative work to show to potential employers. This means you’re prepared for jobs in the music industry, music and sound design for film and theatre, and the multimedia and gaming industries.
- History and Practice of Electronic Music
- Studio Recording
- Creative Music Technologies
- Music Production
- Analysing Film B
- Creative Production: Documentary Video
- Creative Production: Photography
- Instrumentation, Voicing and Orchestration
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Sound Engineering View 94 other Bachelors in Sound Engineering in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- International Baccalaureate: 30 -32 points overall from the full IB Diploma.
- You must have evidence of strong music ability. You might have Higher level Music within your International Baccalaureate (with at least grade 5) or have other evidence of music ability from outside your International Baccalaureate studies. This could be a formal qualification (such as grade 7 theory or grade 7 instrument or voice from a certified exam board, like Rockschool or ABRSM) or you may have other evidence of strong performance or composition or professional experience from outside your academic studies.
- European Baccalaureate: Overall result of at least 75% to 77%.
- You should also have a broad range of GCSEs 9-4 (A*-C), including good grades in relevant subjects.
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Brighton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.