About this Degree
Our bold, forward-thinking curriculum allows you to study the transformative power of language. We offer a distinctive approach to a radical breadth of literary and non-literary language. There’s an emphasis on close reading, creative and critical writing, and a broad range of linguistic approaches. You’ll be taught by engaged and passionate tutors who will guide you through each year of your degree. Our cross-disciplinary approach will help you tailor your degree to what interests you most in language and literature.
You’ll be part of a close-knit community of staff and students who all support each other.
By studying English Language and Literature (Hons) at University of Sussex, you gain skills in critical assessment, written communication, independent thought and problem solving.
Our degrees prepare you for a range of careers involving communication, including:
- journalism, PR and new media
- publishing, law, libraries and archives
- speech and language therapy, education and language teaching.
- Capital Culture: Money, Commerce and Writing
- Islam, Literature and the 'West'
- Research Proposal (English Language)
- Special Author: Virginia Woolf
- Special Author: William Blake
- Technologies of Capture: Photography and Nineteenth Century Literature
- Topics in Discourse and Communication
- Topics in Language Variation and Change
- Topics in Linguistic Analysis
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 1725 other Bachelors in Languages in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- International Baccalaureate: 30 -32 points overall from the full IB Diploma.
- Higher Level subjects must include English.
- European Baccalaureate: Overall result of at least 75% to 77%.
- Successful applicants will need to achieve a final mark of at least 8/10 in English
- A-levels must include English Literature or the combined A-level in English Language and Literature
- You should have a broad range of GCSEs 9-4 (A*-C), including good grades in relevant subjects.
- We take the EPQ into account when considering your application and it can be useful in the summer when your results are released if you have narrowly missed the conditions of your offer. We do not routinely include the EPQ in the conditions of your offer but we sometimes offer alternative conditions that include the EPQ.
International18500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18500 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Brighton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.