Some music therapists maintain private practices or serve as consultants. Music therapists are specialists in the clinical use of music to facilitate motor skills, cognitive abilities, communication, and social outcomes for individuals with disease or disability.
The Music - Music Therapy major at Colorado State University is internationally recognized for its leadership in clinical training and research. The curriculum includes a strong emphasis in music, the neurosciences, psychology, and music therapy methods.
Students will demonstrate:
- Ability to perform music from a variety of historical/ style periods, and exhibit the appropriate skills for musical self-expression in juried performances. These skills include: technique, musicianship, tone, diction/articulation, style, interpretation, sight-reading, rhythm, and artistry.
- Keyboard Skills.
- The capacity to create original or derivative music.
- Understanding of the common elements and organizational patterns of music, including musical forms, processes, and structures.
- Knowledge of music history and repertory, including representative composers and works according to the area of specialization, as well as study and experiences with music in addition to that of the primary culture encompassing the area of specialization.
Students are also expected to learn music literature from all periods through aural and score analysis. Performance skills are tested at the end of the sophomore year and in a graduation recital if required by the degree option. Some programs require satisfactory completion of supervised student teaching, an internship, or a senior project.
The professional undergraduate music curricula at CSU can lead to personally fulfilling careers as music educators, music therapists, performers, composers, private teachers, and entrepreneurs. Music graduates from CSU have successfully gained employment in public and private schools, hospitals and institutions, and as professional performers and composers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music Theory
- Aural Skills
- Piano Skills for Music Therapists
- Beginning Conducting
- Music Therapy Methods
- Medical Terminology
- Appreciation of Philosophy
- Voice Class
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Music School Counselling View 1871 other Bachelors in Psychology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All first-year freshman students will submit an application using the Common Application. Your application will be reviewed after we receive all of the required items.
- Transcripts: Submit your most recent transcripts or mark sheets. We will ask for additional materials if necessary. Only transcripts sent directly from the school or stamped and sealed are considered official.
- Personal statement: Your personal statement, commonly called an essay, is your opportunity to help us understand what makes you unique beyond your grades and transcripts. Your personal statement will be reviewed during your admission decision, for consideration for any competitive majors, and for financial aid decisions.
- Recommendation: One recommendation from a counselor or teacher is required.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International31712 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31712 USD per year during 48 months.
National31712 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31712 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12432 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12432 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Fort Collins
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.