Students in the jazz studies concentration study jazz performance through individual lessons and participation in ensembles; jazz styles, theory, harmony, and improvisation; and the significance of jazz in American history and culture.
The world music concentration offers comprehensive knowledge of music cultures of the world; understanding of the interrelationship of music, society, and culture; grounding in the basics of Western music theory and musicianship; and the experience of playing in one or several musical ensembles from various traditions around the world.
The Ethnomusicology program of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) has the following learning outcomes:
- Demonstrated broad knowledge and competency in performance, writing, and/or composition
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge and experience to capstone requirements
- Conception and successful completion of a project that is individually expressive of the student’s specific interests and acquired expertise
- Written document or live presentation that displays requisite communication and teamwork required by work in the field
- Sociology of Music
- Anthropology of Music
- Study of Ethnomusicology
- Advanced World Music Performance Organizations
- World Music Composition
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology View 2492 other Bachelors in Music in United States
- Complete 15 year-long academic courses with a 3.4 GPA
- Meet other requirements specific to your country
- Take the ACT with Writing Test, SAT with Writing or SAT with Essay by December of your last year at secondary school
- Demonstrate English-language Proficiency
- Applicants are reviewed individually, based on a questionnaire, grade-point average, two letters of recommendation, test scores, a personal statement of purpose, and an on-campus interview/audition.
- Applicants who are unable to travel to UCLA have the option of a Skype interview/audition.
International44830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 44830 USD per year during 48 months.
National44830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 44830 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State13804 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13804 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Beverly Hills
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.