Students majoring in Slavic Languages and Literatures at Yale University may concentrate exclusively on Russian language and literature (Program I), or they may elect to study Russian literature in the context of comparative studies of literature (Program II). For Program II, credit is given for work done in other departments. Specific courses in each program must be arranged with the director of undergraduate studies. Students interested in specializing in Russian or Slavic linguistics may arrange a special concentration in linguistics with the director of undergraduate studies.
Students majoring in Russian are strongly encouraged to spend a summer or a term studying in the Russian Federation under the auspices of programs approved by the director of undergraduate studies. Language courses taken during the summer or during a term in Russia in approved programs may substitute for certain advanced Russian courses at Yale. Students interested in study abroad should consult the director of undergraduate studies well before their junior year.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- First-Year Russian
- Intensive Elementary Russian
- Second-Year Russian
- Intensive Intermediate Russian
- Third-Year Russian
- Advanced Conversation in Contemporary Russia
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 1950 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All international student applicants at the Yale must complete the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Program (see Standardized Examinations in the chapter Admissions).
- In addition, all applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the Internet-based test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT), a test that includes a section on spoken English (see Standardized Examinations in the chapter Admissions).
- Any transcripts, letters of reference, or other application material written in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified translation.
International55500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 55500 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National55500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 55500 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.