No matter where we live and work, effective written communication of ideas and information, knowledge and opinion is indispensable. In politics, business, community organizations and the media, the ability to write knowledgeably and precisely is fundamental. As societies continue to change, people with skills in and knowledge of the written and spoken word will be counted on to provide insight into the many transformations influencing our lives.
In every sphere of life and work, clear and effective written communication of ideas and information, knowledge and opinion is essential. The Professional Writing BA program at York University combines studies of the historical and theoretical analysis of written expression with the development of practical expertise in creating, managing, coordinating and presenting written information in a constructive and dynamic fashion.
There are three streams:
- Books (editing)
- Periodicals (writing non-fiction prose)
Institutional Communications (writing in and for business)
Possible Career Paths
- Media professional (journalist, editor)
- Community service worker
- Communications specialist
- Writer of fiction and non-fiction
- Professional Writing
- Research for Professional Writers
- Genre for Professional Writers
- Writing in Digital Cultures
- Rhetoric: Strategy and Application
- Intermediate Digital Authoring
- Periodical Writing and Publishing
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLibrary Science Languages Creative Writing View 5 other Bachelors in Library Science in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official Transcripts (all students are required to submit official transcripts except those qualifying as Mature applicants or as Visiting Students on a Letter of Permission)
- Course Descriptions
- Language Proficiency Requirements
- Supplementary Application
International32416 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32416 CAD per year during 36 months.
National7037 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7037 CAD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Toronto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.