Students enrolled in the Geology program are afforded the opportunity to pursue interests in several areas of specialization, including: petrology, volcanology, structural geology, sedimentary geology, economic geology, hydrology, soil science, climate change, petroleum geology, and paleontology. A critical component of this degree program is a field-based capstone project in which students must demonstrate their ability to interpret a natural system and communicate their understanding in a professional manner.
By the end of the Geology program at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas , students will be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Identify common rock-forming minerals and major rock types in hand specimen and thin section, and describe the conditions under which each of them formed. This will include being able to describe the chemical characteristics of various types of rocks.
- Identify the common types of fossils and how they are used to reconstruct the evolution of life on earth.
- Be able to recognize the major types of geologic structures and use these to reconstruct the tectonic history of a region.
- Describe the major processes and landforms of the earth’s surface.
- Describe the plate-tectonic history of the earth and the relationship between plate tectonic processes and mountain building.
- Reconstruct the sedimentological framework and stratigraphic history of a well-exposed stratigraphic record.
- Demonstrate sufficient quantitative and writing skills, and proficiencies in computers and multi-media systems for application in the analysis and presentation of geologic concepts.
- Apply the techniques of at least two specializations within the field of geology to the solution of appropriate research or applied problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to function independently, collaboratively, and ethically with others in the profession as colleagues and supervisors through project-based course work, participation in wider department functions.
- Complete a culminating experience in which students construct a geologic map on a topographic base and cross section, interpret the geologic history, and write a professional quality report on the geology of the area. Through the field geology course, students will also demonstrate the ability to recognize, formulate, employ, and interpret the scientific methodology, and employ critical thinking skills.
- Recognize the role of humans in Earth Systems, and our dependency and influence on the Earth Systems.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Earth and Life Through Time
- Principles of Geomorphology
- Structural Geology
- Field Geology
- Advanced Field Geology
- Igneous & Metamorphic Petrography
- Principles of Stratig. & Sedimen.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 600 other Bachelors in Earth Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
High School Transcript –
- Submit your high school transcript (includes all high school coursework and grades).
- A certified translation is required for any transcript not written in English.
- Submit your official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities where college-level credits were earned (either while in high school or after graduating high school).
- A certified evaluation (course-by-course with GPA calculation) by a NACES member organization is required for all non-US college-level coursework.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25644 USD per year during 48 months.
National25644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25644 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State9102 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9102 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Las Vegas
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.