The Bachelor of Music Studies (Honours) at the University of Sydney comprises a widely recognised and highly regarded study program offering a unique opportunity for students to explore their research potential with an independent project supervised by one or more internationally recognised scholars. Completing a music degree with honours opens the door to many employment and research opportunities.
The Sydney Conservatorium of Music places a high emphasis on its research activity. We have a vibrant and diverse community of staff and students, many of whom enjoy exceptional careers worldwide as both performers and scholars in the finest musical company. The Conservatorium is a gathering place for experiencing music performance, scholarship and culture by individuals who push the boundaries of innovation, creativity, cognition and expression.
The Bachelor of Music Studies (Honours) supports the development of professional musicians through acquisition of an integrated body of knowledge, skills and attitudes. While students are required to specialise in their principal study and to reach levels of excellence demanded by the music profession, graduates are prepared for a diverse range of career opportunities, including careers as performing soloists, chamber musicians and orchestral/ensemble players, as well as music educators, creators, researchers and writers.
- artist agent
- arts administrator
- chamber/orchestral musician
- contemporary musician
- event producer
- Honours is both a completion of an academic education in music, and a preparation for postgraduate study in music. Students enrol in two semesters of full-time study, involving a combination of research seminars, classes, supervision and/or individual lessons depending on their area of study.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMusic Art History Music History View 70 other Bachelors in Art History in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- CRICOS code: 061147J
- Have qualified for the award of the pass degree of Bachelor of Music Studies from the University of Sydney or comparable three-year degree from another tertiary institution
- Candidates must have achieved a distinction average in the overall degree, including all written subjects, and achieved a distinction average in their principal study or area of specialisation in years two or three
- In addition to the above requirements, prospective candidates will need to submit a minimum 500-word proposal outlining the aims of their research, including the relevance of the research question, references to supporting literature and possible ethical considerations
- Successful completion of an audition and/or interview.
- English proficiency
International45000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 45000 AUD per year during 12 months.
National8021 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8021 AUD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.