This International Politics and Modern Languages (Hons) Including Year Abroad degree at University of Bath enables you to combine the study of a language at either ab initio (beginner) or advanced level with the study of international politics. In the course, the language and politics strands carry equal weighting. You will gain a strong competence in both your chosen language and in relevant issues of international politics.
You can choose your language of study from either advanced French, German or Spanish (intended for those who have studied to A level standard) or any beginner language (which you do not need to have studied before): French, German, Italian, Mandarin, Russian or Spanish.
In your first year you'll study the written and spoken language and gain a grounding in key concepts and theoretical tools for the study of international relations and international politics. You’ll explore the history and cultures of the country or countries of your chosen language in an international context.
In your second year you'll continue with the advanced study of your chosen language and the country history, politics, culture and society in an international context. You'll gain skills in research design and methods. This year prepares you for the year abroad.
You'll spend your third year abroad in the country of your chosen language. The year abroad assessment contributes towards your final degree classification.
In the final year, you will write a politics dissertation supervised by an academic member of staff. There are several optional units you can choose, allowing you to focus on areas that you are most interested in and excited by.
Study in an enriched learning environment
You’ll learn from academics with expertise in a wide breadth of contemporary political subjects. Their international collaborations and research activities inform their teaching. You’ll experience a course-wide approach to developing your professional and practical skills with an emphasis on employability.
Prepare for your future
Our politics graduates are found in a wide range of public, private and voluntary sector jobs. Popular destinations are jobs in the banking and finance industries, the media, public administration, and national, European and international political institutions and organisations. Many graduates have chosen to pursue an academic career with further study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Written and spoken language
- History, politics, culture and society (of chosen language) in an international context
- Comparative politics
- Politics: theory and analysis
- International relations
- Research design and methods
- International relations and security
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations Languages View 599 other Bachelors in International Relations in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your application, especially your personal statement, should demonstrate your enthusiasm for languages and politics, expressed through an interest and knowledge of certain social, political or economic aspects.
- You do not need to have studied Politics before to be suitable for this course. You will need a strong performance in a language other than your own of at least GCSE level (or equivalent).
- We welcome students from a variety of backgrounds to our language courses. Language teaching in the first year of this degree for beginner languages is typically pitched at students who have not studied that language before and who are not native speakers.
- If you are not taking it as part of your entry qualifications, we can accept a relevant B2 level language qualification, such as DELF for French, TestDaF, Goethe-Zertifikat Deutsch or DSD for German or DELE for Spanish.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.