Gateway to Dentistry course from University of Bristol is aimed at students who have the potential to become dentists but do not meet the academic entry criteria to apply directly to our five-year undergraduate BDS Dentistry course. Our Gateway courses are a widening participation initiative for UK students who fulfil specific criteria and wish to apply for a clinical programme.
During the Gateway year students will learn alongside each other, benefiting from shared interprofessional insight and the unique community of Bristol’s medical, dental and veterinary schools. Students will be taught by academic teachers who are scientists and clinicians.
Health and Disclosure and Barring Service check
Certain health conditions may be incompatible with careers in dentistry. Before starting your degree you will need to complete a health assessment questionnaire and pre-course screening for blood-borne viruses; find out more about pre-course occupational health information.
In accordance with General Dental Council guidelines on fitness to practise, all dental students are required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, in line with other health-related courses in the UK.
Please note that as part of your training you will come into contact with human and animal cadaveric material.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Basic anatomy, physiology and biochemistry of the healthy human/animal;
- Fundamental principles of chemistry;
- Maths and statistics relevant to health sciences programmes;
- Clinical professional attributes;
- Clinically-relevant work experience.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDentistry View 49 other Bachelors in Dentistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- BBC including B in Biology or Chemistry.Applicants with predicted or achieved grades of AAB or above (or points equivalent), or with A in Chemistry, are not eligible for this course.
- 29 points overall, including 5 at Higher Level in Biology or Chemistry.Applicants with predicted or achieved grades of 33 points overall including 16 at Higher Level, or with 6 at Higher Level in Chemistry, are not eligible for this course.
- Requirements for principal subjects are as for A-level, where D1/ D2 is A*, D3 is A, M1/ M2 is B, and M3 is C.
- DMM in Applied Science BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma, with EITHER with Distinctions in six specified Biology units or with Distinctions in six specified Chemistry units.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 72 months.
Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9250 per year
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.