The programme Divinity (Hons) from University of St Andrews is a three-year course run by the School of Divinity. The course is only available to those who already hold an undergraduate degree and are now interested in focusing on theological and biblical studies. There is a four-year option for students who wish to also study biblical languages.
The course focuses on the teachings and practices of the Christian faith as rooted in biblical and theological studies, and considers the significance of faith today as well as the challenges to it.
Students can expect to have the opportunity to engage with a number of specialist topics including, for example, the study of the biblical text in its original languages or the interactions of Christian theology with current scientific and philosophical developments.
Most graduates from the BD take the course as part of their preparation for ordination. That said, graduates from the theological and biblical disciplines develop key transferable skills in critical thinking and in written and oral communication, which make them highly attractive to potential employers. Accordingly, employment prospects are usually wide ranging.
Recent graduates from the School of Divinity have become:
- religious studies teachers
- lay chaplains at schools
- ordained ministers
- journalists with the national and religious press.
- Book of Revelation and Apocalyptic Literature
- Christian Ethics and Contemporary Society
- Creation and Chaos in the Old Testament and Ancient Near East
- Medieval Monastic Spirituality
- The Nature of Theology
- Religious World of Dante
- Theology, Spirituality and Pastoral Care.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Application deadline - 26 January for UK students
DisciplinesHistory Religious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 127 other Bachelors in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students must have an undergraduate degree in another subject in order to be accepted on the Divinity BD (Hons).
- We accept a wide range of qualifications for entry on to our programmes, please see our entry requirements for more information.
International26350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26350 GBP per year during 36 months.
National1820 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1820 GBP per year during 36 months.
- RUK (England, Wales, Northern Ireland) and Republic of Ireland: £9250
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.