Combine the study of French and Spanish with investigations into the nature of language itself. Spend a year abroad studying, working or teaching in Spanish and French-speaking countries, consolidating your language skills.
You'll be taught in French and Spanish, so you'll become confident using your languages as a means of communication, and for critical thinking. You'll gain an understanding of French and Spanish culture and societies which will underpin your abilities as a high-level communicator in both languages.
Your communication skills will be complemented by investigations into the science and structure of language through a range of linguistics modules.
Careers and skills
Effective communication, critical thinking and project management skills are central to most careers. The study of French and Spanish Language (with a year abroad) (Hons) course from University of York equips you with these skills and others, which translate readily into any work context.
Our graduates have an excellent record of pursuing fulfilling paths after graduation.
- View the latest statistics on the career destinations of our graduates.
Apart from your knowledge of linguistics, you will leave with the confidence and skills that come from successfully completing a demanding course and participating fully in university life.
- Hear former students talking about the skills acquired in their degree and how they use them in their current career.
There are specialist careers that lead directly from your degree, after additional postgraduate training, including: clinical linguistics (speech and language therapy), forensic linguistics (forensic speech science), teaching (primary and secondary) teaching English as a foreign language, academic research and higher/further education.
- marketing and communications
- broadcasting and journalism
- local government and public service
- business, finance and accountancy
- translation and interpreting
- IT and software development
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- French Language and Society
- French Grammar
- Spanish Language and Society
- Spanish Grammar
- The Francophone World
- Historical Memory in the Spanish-speaking World
- French Society On-screen
- Hispanic Culture Through Film
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 739 other Bachelors in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- AAB including at least one of French or Spanish
Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Obtain Access to HE Diploma with 36 credits at Distinction and 9 credits at Merit or higher. An additional A Level or equivalent qualification in French or Spanish will be required.
BTEC National Extended Diploma
- DDD. An additional A Level or equivalent qualification in French or Spanish will be required.
- D3, D3, M2 including French or Spanish
- 80% overall average including 80% in either French or Spanish.
- 35 points including 6 in either French or Spanish at Higher Level
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19600 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- UK government loans
- UK scholarships and bursaries
- International scholarships
- Country-specific funding
- US loans
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.