The Popular Music (Hons) program offered by University of Huddersfield gives students the opportunity to work with commercially successful musicians who can help them build on their composing and production talents and they will benefit from the chance to make music in a lively student environment.
During your studies we’ll look at a wide range of topics from production and performance through to songwriting and composition. We’ll also look at popular music in its historical, global and cultural contexts.
Popular music is a highly competitive industry, so we’ll do all we can to help you on your way to a career. We’ll give you the opportunity to develop industry-standard practices and techniques, while learning how to break the rules to unleash your creativity. You’ll choose your own focus, specialising in songwriting, performing, production or a mixture of subjects, whether concentrating on guitar music, pop, electronica or your own new style.
In addition to the compulsory short term (8 week) work placement in the final year Work and Professional Practice in Music module, this course offers you the opportunity to take an optional one-year (48 week) work placement after your second year, in the UK or abroad. Previous placement providers in the subject area of Music have included Angel Studios, Yellow Arch, Warner Records, BBC, Elstree Studios, Wigwam Audio Group, Chapel Studios, and the Leadmill.
Popular Music graduates can consider careers in performance, teaching, composition, arranging, session recording, arts administration, community music, and music therapy. A selection of companies that have employed Huddersfield music graduates in recent years include Abbey Road Studios, BBC, Royal Northern College of Music, Chethams School of Music, Opera North, ITV, and Calderdale Music Services.
89% of graduates from this subject area at Huddersfield go on to work and/or further study within six months of graduating.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Music Research
- Desktop Music Production
- Performance Skills
- Studio Engineering and Mixing Essentials
- Theory and Analysis of Popular Music
- Solo Performance
- Final Year Project
- Explorations in World Musics (Final Year)
- Music, Gender and Identity
- Composing Music for Film and Videogames B
- Music in Educational Contexts
- Critical Approaches to Recorded and Electronic Music
- Inside the Music Business
- Music for the Moving Image B
- Popular Music Studies
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 435 other Bachelors in Music in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Apply through UCAS
- BBB at A Level.
- 120 UCAS tariff points from a combination of Level 3 qualifications+evidence of prior Music or Music Technology experience or from International Baccalaureate qualifications.
- DDMin BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma.
- Applicants intending to study instrumental/vocal performance should have reached at least Grade 8 standard of the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM), Rockschool or equivalent at entry and attend an audition.
- Access to Higher Education Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits at Merit or above.
- International students that don't have traditional music or music technology qualifications need to demonstrate their understanding of music theory to around grade 5 ABRSM.
International15000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Huddersfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.