About the Medical Biology (Hons) program offered by University of Huddersfield
The course is designed for those students that want to make their mark on medical research and set themselves up to be part of the teams that could be making dramatic breakthroughs in the coming decades.
- This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology.
- In the early stages of the degree, you’ll study alongside our other biological sciences students on certain modules, building up your knowledge to enable you to investigate advanced topics further down the line – topics such as molecular genetics, immunology and cancer.
- Through lectures, seminars and specialised lab sessions, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from our expert staff with doctoral-level expertise in their subjects and experience across the biological sciences.
- In your third year, you’ll get the chance to step out of the classroom and into the real world on an optional placement year working for an organisation related to your areas of interest. This is when you’ll really be able to see your knowledge in action, pick up invaluable skills for your future career and boost your employability to help you hit the ground running after graduation.
- As a student on this course you’ll be able to apply for undergraduate membership of the Biochemical Society and The Physiological Society (UK). You’ll also be eligible for student affiliate membership of the Royal Society of Biology and upon successful graduation be eligible to apply for one year associate membership, this can help open up networks at a crucial time when applying for jobs.
Graduates from our Biological Sciences courses can consider a wide range of career options in areas such as medical research, the NHS, molecular sciences, medical genetics, pharmaceuticals, developing scientific patents, medical sales or marketing, medical writing and teaching.
Previous graduates have gone on to work in roles such as Microbiologist at CREH Analytical Ltd, Biomedical Scientist at Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust, Research Assistant at Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine, Laboratory Analyst at ALS Environmental Ltd and Healthcare Scientist at Public Health England.
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Chemical and Physical Principles of Biology
- Physiology 1: Structure and Function
- The World of Microbes
- Research Skills
- Molecular Biology
- Physiology 2: Control and Integration
- Molecular Aspects of Drug Action
- Genomes and Evolution
- Cell Biology
- Epidemiology and Public Health
- Research Project
- Mechanisms and Pathology of Cancer and other Chronic Diseases
- Immunology and Infection
- Advanced Physiology
- Cancer Biology
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
360-480 (if you choose not to take the supervised work experience year.)
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology Genetics View 409 other Bachelors in Genetics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Apply through UCAS
- BBC at A Level + grade B in a relevant Science subject.
- Practical work.
- 112 UCAS tariff points from a combination of Level 3 qualifications including a grade B in a relevant Science subject at A Level or from International Baccalaureate qualifications which should include modules in a relevant science subject.
- Merit at T Level.
- DMM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science or in Health and Social Care accompanied by another Science A Level at grade C or above.
- Access to Higher Education Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits at Merit or above to include modules in a relevant science subject.
- If you do not have the appropriate qualifications for direct entry you can apply to our Science Extended Degree (BCF0).
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Huddersfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.