You will receive a fundamental grounding in the principles of biochemistry, such as protein structure and function.
As you progress, optional course units may show you how biochemistry allows us to understand and treat diseases. Subject areas include the molecular biology of cancer, cell cycle control and genetic diseases.
This Medical Biochemistry (Hons) course offered at The University of Manchester is designed for biochemists considering a career in research into the biochemical basis of disease and therapeutic medicine.
Many pharmaceutical and healthcare companies require well-trained medical biochemists, making this area a promising one for our graduates' careers.
Our graduates become key employees in the efforts of such companies to develop new drugs targeted against specific enzymes, hormone receptors or other biologically important molecules.
As an alternative to entering industry directly, many medical biochemistry graduates continue their careers via a PhD programme, or by taking a specialist master's course in, for example, bioinformatics.
- Academic Tutorials
- Molecular Biology
- From Molecules to Cells
- Introduction to Laboratory Science
- Introduction to Experimental Biology
- Molecular & Cellular Biology
- Writing and Referencing Skills (online unit)
- Body Systems
- Drugs: From Molecules to Man
- Chemistry for Bioscientists
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences Biochemistry View 615 other Bachelors in Biochemistry in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We require grades AAA-ABB, including Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics and Maths (the Hard Sciences). You must have a grade A in at least one Hard Science and pass the practical assessments in these subjects.
- We normally require 3 full A-levels. We may exceptionally accept two AS-levels at grades AB or higher in place of the third non-science A-level. Applicants should contact the Admissions Office to discuss their particular circumstances.
- 36-33 points overall with 6,6,6 to 6,5,5 at Higher Level including Chemistry and another science subject, normally Biology.
International25000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.