Term 1: Theoretical tem
The first term of the course will explore the key concepts that underpin DMP in creative and interactive ways, through group work, discussion, creative exploration, theory and movement.
Term 2: Experiential Term
The second term will draw on your own experiences and be facilitated as if it were a DMP group session. You will need to come to the session room changed into loose, comfortable clothing.
After checking in with people verbally, the tutors will prepare you to use movement in a more exploratory way for around 20 minutes by leading a ‘warm up’. This will be followed by their facilitation of a movement process for around 30 minutes. Then there will be about 30 minutes to reflect back verbally on what happened in the movement and the impact it had on you. There will 30 minutes after each session to write your personal reflective journal.
Term 3. DMP Application to practise
The third term examines how DMP is applied to practice in the various settings Dance Movement Psychotherapists work. You will have an opportunity to hear about a number of specialist areas and how DMP adapts to fit the context whilst staying fundamentally on model with its guiding principles.
- DMP for children with ASD & learning difficulties
- DMP with adults with mental health problems.
- The significance of endings and breaks; finding a way through.
The Foundation will provide you with a good insight into the Dance Movement Psychotherapy profession, however it is not a licence to practise DMP.
A certificate of Attendance will be awarded. The completion of the Foundation course will not automatically guarantee you a place on the MA in Dance Movement Psychotherapy. The Dance Movement Psychotherapy Foundation programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.
- ‘What is Dance Movement Psychotherapy?
- Pioneers in Dance Movement Psychotherapy.
- DMP & the therapeutic process; making sense of dance movement as the embodied, symbolic expression of experience.
- Relationships building and attachment within Psychotherapy
- Reflective perspectives on play
- Developing kinaesthetic awareness & attunement: the body in therapy
- 7 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPsychology Sports Management View 510 other programmes in Psychology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
International1225 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1225 GBP for the full programme during 7 months.
National1225 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1225 GBP for the full programme during 7 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.