Our new modules explore geohazards and risk, clean energy transitions, and long term environmental change. With this BSc (Hons) Physical Geography and Geology course is offered at University of Plymouth , students gain specialist academic, international fieldwork and laboratory skills providing a springboard to an exciting and diverse range of careers.
Our geological science students have tremendous opportunities to gain the knowledge and skills necessary for employment in a variety of work settings. Our hands-on approach to teaching and learning throughout the course will provide you with the topical skills and experience that you can apply to the wide range of career options as graduates.
- Our new modules address critical sustainability challenges: reducing risk from natural hazards, harnessing cleaner energy sources and how to combat climate and environmental change.
- Our approachable staff share their cutting-edge research and expertise through varied teaching practices in lectures, tutorials, practical classes and field courses.
- Learn to apply the latest techniques in the field and laboratory. Our substantial fieldwork programme provides opportunities in a variety of UK and overseas locations including Death Valley USA, Spain, Sicily and Cyprus.
- Study modules dedicated to addressing the connection between physical geography and geology, such as ‘long-term landscape development’.
- Progress your skills in our open access laboratory, LABplus.
- Develop your confidence with a personal tutor, providing you with weekly guidance throughout your first year.
- Our PALS mentoring scheme provides you with support from students in the year ahead.
- Plymouth's coastal location, close to Dartmoor and two UNESCO World Heritage sites provides the perfect setting for studying geology, with opportunities for fieldwork right on our doorstep.
- Receive essential field safety equipment free as part of your welcome package.
- Work towards becoming a Chartered Geologist, our accreditation by the Geological Society, the world’s oldest and most prestigious national learned society for geology, helps you to gain the required experience.
- Take the opportunity to spend your second year studying abroad in Canada, Australia, USA or elsewhere through our direct exchange, Erasmus or ISEP programmes. Plymouth is currently the only UK institution to offer exchanges through ISEP, giving our students the greatest range of Earth science exchange opportunities available.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Dynamic Earth
- Earth Materials
- Palaeontology and Stratigraphy
- Fieldwork and Key Skills
- Hydrology and Geomorphology
- Environment and Climate
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Geology View 223 other Bachelors in Geology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UCAS tariff
112 - 120
- A level
- BTEC QCF Extended Diploma/RQF National Extended Diploma: DMM-DDM – science related subject.
- BTEC National Diploma modules
If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC. Without this information we may be unable to process your application quickly and you could experience significant delays in the progress of your application to study with us.
- IB: 28 - 30 points overall. English and mathematics must be included.
- GCSE : Mathematics and English language grade C.
- Pass an Access to HE Diploma (science based) with at least 33 credits at merit.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14600 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.