You will develop a host of practical skills that will prepare you for your chosen career and make you attractive to employers. You will have the opportunity to gain the HSE PRO SCUBA qualification, for those with a suitable background in diving. You’ll also gain invaluable experience on a six or 12-month international placement during your third year, or working in a local host organisation alongside your studies. The BSc (Hons) Marine Biology and Oceanography programme is offered at University of Plymouth .
- We’re very proud of our National Student Survey (NSS) 2020 return. All of the student respondents said our course is intellectually stimulating, that our staff are good at explaining things and 100% also expressed overall satisfaction with the course.*
- Explore the marine life of the open ocean and deep-sea and how physical and chemical processes drive the biology and ecology of marine species.
- Study marine life in the wild with access to the University’s research vessels based in the Plymouth Sound Special Area for Conservation and our Marine Station.
- LABplus is a unique open access laboratory and resource centre designed for students studying science and engineering courses. The lab provides a flexible workspace, computing facilities, specialist software, access to microscopes, microscope cameras and bespoke resources.
- Benefit from our reputation as an international centre for marine research. Our expert teaching staff collaborate on many varied research projects.
- Gain invaluable experience on a six or 12-month international placement during your third year, or working in a local host organisation alongside your studies. You’ll also have the chance to spend your second year at one of our partner universities in the US, Canada or Australia, giving you the chance to study marine animals not found in UK waters.
- Increase your knowledge and apply your skills in an international setting, with two residential field courses abroad (France and Sweden), and experience research on a large ocean-going research vessel.
- Develop a host of practical skills that will prepare you for your chosen career and make you attractive to employers. You will also have the opportunity to gain the HSE PRO SCUBA qualification, for those with a suitable background in diving.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Cells: The Building Blocks of Life
- Methods in Marine Biology and Oceanography
- Marine Biology Field Course
- Evolution and Behaviour
- Physical and Chemical Processes of the Ocean
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMarine Studies Ecology View 146 other Bachelors in Ecology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UCAS tariff
- A level applicants
- International Baccalaureate
30-36 overall, to include Higher Level Biology and preferably further relevant Science subjects. Qualifying relevant Science subjects are: Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physics and Psychology. English and Maths are accepted within as GCSE equivalent at Higher Level Grade 4 or Standard Level Grade 5.
- GCSE - All applicants must have GCSE (or equivalent) English and Mathematics at grade C / 4 or above.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14600 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Part time (Home) £770per 10 credits
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.