The Religious Studies Certificate at California State University Long Beach is organized into four areas of study:
- Religious Texts examines texts from the world’s religious traditions and their historical and cultural contexts.
- Religious Traditions (Group A) includes coursework in Judaism, Christianity and Islam.
- Religious Traditions (Group B), coursework in Buddhism, the religions of Japan, the religions of South Asia, the religions of Southeast Asia, and indigenous religions.
- The fourth area of study is Religion in the Contemporary World.
The program provides students with an introduction to the major religious traditions and to religion in the modern world. Because religion infuses human cultures in visible and invisible ways, Religious Studies places special emphasis on relating the religious dimension of human life to the humanities, sciences, and social sciences.
- Early and Western Religions
- Asian Religions
- Religion and Literature of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament
- The Historical Jesus
- Heaven, Hell and Other Afterlives
- Jewish Religion
- Jewish Mysticism
- Islamic Religion and Culture
- Christianity and Global Ethics
- Religions of India
- Religions of Southeast Asia
- Women and Islam in Global Perspective
- Love, Life, and the World
- Trending Religion: Religion in Popular Culture
- American Religious Diversity
- Queer Spirit
- Comparative Religious Ethics
- 10 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology View 989 other Bachelors in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements with a grade of C or higher prior to high school graduation.
- Graduate from high school by the end of the Spring term prior to Fall enrollment.
- All transcripts from all institutions attended
- SAT/ACT scores
Graduates of California high schools and other California residents:
- 2.5 GPA or greater in college preparatory subjects, AND 3,200 minimum “CSULB Index” to be considered, for non-STEM major
- a 3,600 minimum “STEM Index” for STEM majors. (Be aware this is higher than the minimum for CSU system-wide eligibility.)
Other non-California residents:
- 3.0 GPA or greater in college preparatory subjects, AND 3,500 minimum “CSULB Index” to be considered, for non-STEM major
- a 3,600 minimum “STEM Index” for STEM majors.
International5742 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2871 USD per semester during 10 months.
National5742 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2871 USD per semester during 10 months.
- If you are not a resident of California you must add $396 to the above totals for each unit of credit you take.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.