The Dietetics and Food Administration - Nutrition and Dietetics option at California State University Long Beach offers two concentrations:
- Also known as the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD), this option fulfills the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) academic requirements to prepare students to become an entry-level registered dietitian nutritionist (known as RD or RDN).
- The study is concentrated in the areas of nutritional science, medical nutrition therapy, community nutrition, nutrition education, food science, food production, and management of foodservice operations, chemistry, physiology, plus a variety of supporting coursework in related disciplines.
- This concentration prepares students for careers in research, public health, and industry, or serves as a useful science degree while preparing to enter other medical professions (pre-med, physician assistant, etc).
- Study is concentrated in biology, chemistry, nutritional science, and selected electives.
Both degree options prepare students for diverse and rewarding careers. Nutrition and Dietetics offers a diverse and exciting array of opportunities in both public and private sectors, such as:
- Providing nutrition-related patient care in hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, and long-term care facilities
- Supervising and/or providing education to the public through community nutrition programs
- Overseeing large and small-scale foodservice operations (hotel, military, corporate, prison, catering)
- Supervising and planning feeding programs in school and child care settings
- Offering consultation for professional or collegiate athletes in sports nutrition programs
- Conducting research to inform new discoveries in nutritional science and health
- Writing and developing nutrition-related media for educational websites, publishers, or media companies
- Managing corporate wellness programs
- Offering nutrition counseling through private practice
- Working as a nutrition content expert for consulting firms
- Educating future nutrition professionals in university settings through teaching and mentoring
- Working in non-profit health promotion agencies
- Regulation of health and food policy in local, state, or federal government settings
- A variety of opportunities in business/industry (food companies, medical technology, pharmaceuticals, etc.)
- Human Physiology
- Biological Chemistry
- Nutritional Biochemistry Laboratory
- General Microbiology for Health Professionals
- Social and Cultural Aspects of Food and Health
- Nutrition through the Life Cycle
- Food Science
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Food Sciences View 491 other Bachelors in Nutrition & Dietetics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements with a grade of C or higher prior to high school graduation.
- Graduate from high school by the end of the Spring term prior to Fall enrollment.
- All transcripts from all institutions attended
- SAT/ACT scores
Graduates of California high schools and other California residents:
- 2.5 GPA or greater in college preparatory subjects, AND 3,200 minimum “CSULB Index” to be considered, for non-STEM major
- a 3,600 minimum “STEM Index” for STEM majors. (Be aware this is higher than the minimum for CSU system-wide eligibility.)
Other non-California residents:
- 3.0 GPA or greater in college preparatory subjects, AND 3,500 minimum “CSULB Index” to be considered, for non-STEM major
- a 3,600 minimum “STEM Index” for STEM majors.
International5742 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2871 USD per semester during 48 months.
National5742 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2871 USD per semester during 48 months.
- If you are not a resident of California you must add $396 to the above totals for each unit of credit you take.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.