Students gain understanding of user interfaces to better develop interactive design solutions for web and mobile applications.
Students also study and explore research-based approaches to the visual design of information, the development of brand identities based on present and future conditions, and the creation of way-finding systems for navigating complex environments.
The production of printed materials such as books, brochures, packaging and posters is also supported as a fundamental aspect of visual communication design.
Students majoring in Visual Communication Design program at The Ohio State University will achieve the following learning outcomes.
Students will gain a lifelong desire and ability to create new knowledge and foster problem-solving skills through creativity and the application of a creative process.
- Students will apply design thinking and the design process in all studio projects.
- Students will develop the ability to design and develop ideas for new products, spaces and/or interfaces that may not have existed before.
- Students will be able to apply design and creative skills learned in one studio to problems encountered in the new context of a successive studio.
- Students will be able to conduct and complete user research studies for all studio projects.
- Students will create designed artifacts that will be evaluated by design professionals and potential users.
Students will prepare for a successful career in the design profession.
- Students will prepare a portfolio that documents their creative work throughout the undergraduate program.
- Students will develop the skills of presenting themselves and their design competencies in a professional practice context.
Students will develop an understanding of and familiarity with the tools and methods of the design profession.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in model-making techniques using various materials to explore three-dimensional design ideas.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in the use of relevant design technology in the problem-solving and creative process.
- Students will exhibit proficiency in both 2D and 3D design methodologies.
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Design take positions with design consulting offices, corporate design departments and government design agencies and work on consumer and industrial products, building and equipment systems, and public and corporate communication projects.
Students in visual communication design can find employment opportunities with large corporations, small graphic design firms, department stores, publishing companies, advertising agencies, television stations or they can be self-employed.
- Survey course
- Design Fundamentals
- Visual Principles
- Design Practice
- Design History
- Visual Communication Design
- Design Research
- Design Media
- Typographic Design
- Materials and Processes
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Communication Studies View 508 other Bachelors in Communication Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International37947 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37947 USD per year during 48 months.
National35019 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35019 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State11936 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11936 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Columbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.