Students majoring in Music - Theory program from The Ohio State University will achieve the following learning outcomes:
Students must demonstrate achievement of professional, entry-level competence in the area of specialization, including significant technical mastery, capability to produce work and solve professional problems independently, and a coherent set of artistic/intellectual goals that are evident in their work.
- Students will engage in applied studies each semester that will provide appropriate skills, knowledge and experience to prepare students for graduate programs and professional careers in the field. They will demonstrate an understanding of a wide range of historical styles and periods.
- Students will complete courses in music theory, music history, and area-specific literature and pedagogy that will provide appropriate skills, knowledge and experience to prepare them for professional careers in the field. These courses will represent a wide range of historical styles and periods.
Students will have the ability to communicate musical ideas, concepts and requirements to professionals and lay persons related to the practice of the major field. Such communication may involve musical, oral, written and visual media.
- Students will complete curricular requirements that include courses designed to develop oral and written communication skills.
- Students will gain knowledge and experience in pedagogical methodologies in their area of specialization.
Students will gain an understanding of the nature of the music field in the professional world, particularly related to organizational structures, work ethics, technological resources and entrepreneurial skills required for advancing their careers.
- Students will complete a required course in music technology. They will prepare numerous assignments in music theory and music history courses employing a wide range of software, web-based sources and skills covered in this course.
- Students will build workplace skills through independent studies with applied faculty and ensemble directors.
Students must gain experiences in general studies sufficient to prepare them for a range of career options.
- Students will gain skills sufficient for clear and effective verbal and written communication.
- Students will include a broad range of general studies courses in their curricula appropriate for complementing degree requirements that address their specific music concentrations.
Most music theorists continue their studies in graduate school and earn a doctoral degree before becoming a college teacher or university professor. Recent Ohio State music theory majors have gone on to graduate school at Indiana University, the University of Ottawa, The University of Rochester’s Eastman School of Music and SUNY at Stony Brook, as well as at Ohio State.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music History
- World Music
- Ensemble and composers’ seminar
- Principal instrument, two years
- Minor instrument
- Keyboard Harmony
- Beginning conducting
- Orchestration, counterpoint, composition
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 2096 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.