Medical laboratory scientists, also called clinical laboratory scientists, work in all areas of the medical laboratory, including blood banking, immunology, chemistry, hematology and microbiology. The Medical Laboratory Science programe is offered by The Ohio State University.
Most medical laboratory scientists work in hospital laboratories. Medical laboratory scientists can also work in many other areas, such as forensics, research, public health laboratories, pharmaceutical industries, medical sales, fertility clinics, environmental labs, doctors offices and information systems.
For the past five years, over 90 percent of medical laboratory science students have passed the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Registry certification exam on the first attempt.
- The certification track is designed for individuals who wish to become nationally certified medical laboratory scientists and work in clinical laboratory positions upon graduation. In their final semester, certificate track students gain practical experience in the clinical laboratories of affiliated hospitals. Graduates of this track are eligible to sit for the national certifying examination. This track is limited to an enrollment of 25 per class.
- The medical science (non-certification) track is a flexible program designed for individuals who wish to prepare for graduate school or post-baccalaureate professional programs such as medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry or law. Graduates of this track are not eligible to take the national certifying examination.
- The MLT articulation track allows a medical laboratory technician to complete a bachelor’s degree in two years.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Pharmacy Microbiology View 123 other Bachelors in Pharmacy in United States
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International39650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39650 USD per year during 48 months.
National36722 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 36722 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12485 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12485 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Columbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.